Quail Baby Demands Snuggles [Video]

All of my quail cry for my attention most of the day, but Rocky is by far the most persistent. He always wants to be held all the time. Here's a lil video of him being a cutie.

How old is he there? I felt like they hatched the beginning of the month, he seems a bit small, they may need higher protein. But it might be an older video, if so, disregard.

How old is he there? I felt like they hatched the beginning of the month, he seems a bit small, they may need higher protein. But it might be an older video, if so, disregard.
You're not wrong, I saw some pictures yesterday from some other 2 week old quail who are twice the size of mine. I think the chick crumb I purchased isn't as good as it claims to be. I've been adding multivitamins, nuts, dried cat food and worms into their daily feed in an attempt to compensate the protein issue. In just one day they've changed dramatically already, already got back plumage where there were none yesterday.
167298AE-14F8-46A6-835F-D239EEF3DC58.jpeg
0351999B-87DC-44FE-97E8-B2B3AA6C8381.jpeg

You're not wrong, I saw some pictures yesterday from some other 2 week old quail who are twice the size of mine. I think the chick crumb I purchased isn't as good as it claims to be. I've been adding multivitamins, nuts, dried cat food and worms into their daily feed in an attempt to compensate the protein issue. In just one day they've changed dramatically already, already got back plumage where there were none yesterday.
View attachment 2673977View attachment 2673978
I believe mine are about the same age as yours.

Attachments

• IMG_20210517_194840357.jpg
    IMG_20210517_194840357.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210517_194718367.jpg
    IMG_20210517_194718367.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 8
I believe mine are about the same age as yours.
It's crazy how tiny mine all are in comparison to everyone elses. Is there a possible dwarf gene about at all? I've upped their worm intake to 14 a day (cut into tiny pieces for them all to share) and even though they're having a big spike in plumage growth they're all still incredibly tiny. All 6 still fit snuggly in my hands.

It's crazy how tiny mine all are in comparison to everyone elses. Is there a possible dwarf gene about at all? I've upped their worm intake to 14 a day (cut into tiny pieces for them all to share) and even though they're having a big spike in plumage growth they're all still incredibly tiny. All 6 still fit snuggly in my hands.
What is the protein percentage of your feed? Mine is 30% protein game feed and they go thru it like mad for the first 3-4 weeks! You might need to include some hard boiled eggs or something too? Mine at 2 weeks were all feathered but their heads...they do seem tiny :) Cute, but tiny!

What is the protein percentage of your feed? Mine is 30% protein game feed and they go thru it like mad for the first 3-4 weeks! You might need to include some hard boiled eggs or something too? Mine at 2 weeks were all feathered but their heads...they do seem tiny :) Cute, but tiny!
They've been getting egg feed mixed into their crumb since day 1 and yet they look like teenies... I've started adding multivitamin powder too now to see if that helps anymore. I already feed them the crumb feed, seeds, nuts, egg feed, cat food, and worms, I genuinely don't know how to add anymore protein at this point.

They've been getting egg feed mixed into their crumb since day 1 and yet they look like teenies... I've started adding multivitamin powder too now to see if that helps anymore. I already feed them the crumb feed, seeds, nuts, egg feed, cat food, and worms, I genuinely don't know how to add anymore protein at this point.
Maybe they're just super tiny little guys! As long as they continue to progress I wouldn't worry! :)

Back
Top Bottom