Quail baby

Sapphire22

Songster
Apr 15, 2018
Somerset UK
10 eggs hatched last night and 9 of them are doing great. The 10th one however cannot stand it is lying on its side unable to stand kicking about like mad. It can straighten it's head up and appears to be Still curled up . It has dried up and the others are now out in the hatchery any advice please this is so distressing to watch

Update.
After having to watch this little guy suffering and going around and around on its side, we removed it from the incubator and tried to assist it it stand but it was unable too.. we came to the conclusion that suffering was not N option so my partner did what was needed. ;-(

I'm so so sorry for your loss :hit:hugs

I hatched barbezieux eggs recently, and had the same problem with one. She was kicking constantly, wouldn't stand up, and chirped like crazy. It was heart wrenching to watch. When she was fluffed and still kicking, I tied a tiny piece of cardboard to her belly so she stopped kicking her face, and held her in my hand upright. I didn't sleep that night. Hours and hours later, she figured out how to stand. I built her a tiny runway out of cardboard, so she could stand with her siblings instead of in my hand. I also put electrolyte infused drops on her beak, as I read that it might be an electrolyte deficiency. She did make it, and is now a month old, still loses her balance and cries sometimes, but she gets up on her own and acts normal. Idk if I did her a favor or not, only time will tell. I wish you the best with the rest of your quail babies :hugs

Back
Top Bottom