Quail balding?! I’m concerned

Qauil_guy24

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2023
I have four 13 week old jumbo Qauil, one of the bigger ones I’ve noticed some slight balding, I have no males and the females I haven’t seen picking on each other. I’ve heard it could be competition for food. I added a new feeder recently with 3 ports, it’s a 64 oz container. I mostly think it might be from head trauma from being startled. I say this becuase there were some head feathers near the upper mesh of the cage. I’ll provide pictures of the balding. They have all their things they need, sand, water, proper food. (There is green algae inside there rims of the bottle, is that bad? I’ve read it isn’t bad but not good. If so how to get rid of it?)

Attachments

• 0F171259-0FF3-4802-90AD-28BD91909926.jpeg
    0F171259-0FF3-4802-90AD-28BD91909926.jpeg
    635.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 4C0AB4A7-D404-41FD-994D-9EEF8743A6F6.jpeg
    4C0AB4A7-D404-41FD-994D-9EEF8743A6F6.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 9
Are you sure you don't have any males? It could be a bit of pecking happening from other hens as well, though.

How much space do they have? Do they have hiding places?

Are you sure you don't have any males? It could be a bit of pecking happening from other hens as well, though.

They have a nesting house, the cage 4.5 feet and 1.5 wide. No males there has been 0 crow calls me or my dad ever heard

Do they have hiding places? If there is some pecking going on, hiding places will often keep it from getting bad. Quail aren't too bright, so "out of sight, out of mind" really applies to them.

I’m also thinking I could buy a couple hiding spots outside of there nesting box, if you have any suggestions for some lmk

Do they have hiding places? If there is some pecking going on, hiding places will often keep it from getting bad. Quail aren't too bright, so "out of sight, out of mind" really applies to them.
Here’s the nesting box, only spot that is “out of sight” I could make 1-2 hiding spots outside but I would have to stack them

Attachments

• 91637034-BF65-4054-B9A3-16DC7E08F62A.jpeg
    91637034-BF65-4054-B9A3-16DC7E08F62A.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 8
I would give them a dirt box or two with dollar store baskets or cardboard boxes on top of them. When you cut entrance/exit holes, make two so they can't get cornered if an aggressive bird decides to chase them.

I would give them a dirt box or two with dollar store baskets or cardboard boxes on top of them. When you cut entrance/exit holes, make two so they can't get cornered if an aggressive bird decides to chase them.
What I was thinking, I use sand instead of dirt, I’ll make 2 box’s in different spots of the cage, should give them good spots to hide. I could make a box with a front entrance and a side one.

Back
Top Bottom