Quail bleeding feathers/ feather loss

So how can I get them like that? I am giving them sav-a-chick and plenty of food. They don't seem interested in snacks like berries either.
It really sounds like you're not prepared to take care of them properly. If you can't get them food to meet their nutritional needs, at best, they're going to be stunted, sick, and not very happy. At worst, they're going to die.

Please give them to someone who can take care of them.

Manna Pro Gamebird Showbird Crumbles|Formulated with Vitamins & Minerals|5 Pounds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QFP5UY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QK0PE9YFTFXR0MX36BJH
Here is the link to a proper food from Amazon. Yes Amazon can be slightly more expensive but as stated this 5# bag should last your 3 birds several weeks. Feed is also available for delivery from Chewy.com and is available in 50# quantities for similar pricing to a farm store. If you want to have pets or livestock, you have to be prepared to properly care for them regardless of your age! Proper preparation also includes the possibility of veterinary care or willingness to cull to end suffering.

Last edited:
By free ranging, I mean I let them out on our patio and two of them like to go inside my dad's garden. They all eat dirt and weird stuff they find like bugs. Caught them eating a hair strand and had to carefully take it out.

They all seem to like being together, cannot stand a moment by themselves even during play time. They cry for each other when they don't see one or me and I have to remind them that I'm here, and I have to bring them closer to each other often because some of them like to wander off. Only when they get really impatient do I put them back in the cage early.

Also, my dad said he had 400 meat chickens as a boy. He told me they eat everything, so I tried after a little research and experience with my other chicks to adjust their diet. I'll try to convince him to let me buy chick starter.

Also, I think somebody wrote in their post "if it crows it goes. If it lays, it stays" . Is that true? My big hen, who I assumed was the healthiest out of all of them, I think she and/or another one is making weird sounds sometimes. My dad said they're getting bigger and that's why they sound weird.... which one is correct?

My fourth quail, who always seemed sick and seems to be getting better, I noticed that she/he has pasty butt, and so does another one. I wiped them both. One actually had pasty butt (it's giving slimy feces), and the this one seems to have bloody scabs? I know they were both pumping only when I would clean their butts in the past few days.

Could dryness be the problem? I know I did have to put petroleum jelly on this one once.

Last edited:
If they still don't look well after 2 weeks, I might give them to someone else.
If they don't get proper feed, they're likely to have died a slow, unhappy death by that time.
By free ranging, I mean I let them out on our patio and two of them like to go inside my dad's garden. They all eat dirt and weird stuff they find like bugs. Caught them eating a hair strand and had to carefully take it out.

They all seem to like being together, cannot stand a moment by themselves even during play time. They cry for each other when they don't see one or me and I have to remind them that I'm here, and I have to bring them closer to each other often because some of them like to wander off. Only when they get really impatient do I put them back in the cage early.

Also, my dad said he had 400 meat chickens as a boy. He told me they eat everything, so I tried after a little research and experience with my other chicks to adjust their diet. I'll try to convince him to let me buy chick starter.

Also, I think somebody wrote in their post "if it crows it goes. If it lays, it stays" . Is that true? My big hen, who I assumed was the healthiest out of all of them, I think she and/or another one is making weird sounds sometimes. My dad said they're getting bigger and that's why they sound weird.... which one is correct?
Meat chickens and quail have very different nutritional requirements.

The reason for the quote, "If it crows, it goes. If it lays, it stays." is because roosters are loud and aggressive. You only need one in most cases, and then only if you want fertile eggs.

Seriously, if your dad doesn't okay the game bird starter today, please, please, please find someone to take them. Those poor things are suffering.

No, I didn't see any mites anymore (thank God) but I did spray their cage with a bug spray that included fleas and ticks last week. I spray them and their things with garlic spray when I suspect mites.

I want to get everything I can for my quails, but I don't have much money as a kid (I spent it on the quails) and my parents are in a financial situation because of the virus.

I will definitely try out the eggs. It did get hot today (first time it's been 90 F in a week). I just hope it doesn't spoil and that they eat it all.

Back
Top Bottom