chopin_the_quail

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
Latvia
Hello!
Looking out for my buddy of almost three years, our Coturnix quail has been breathing through his mouth all day. I don't think I've seen this before, but maybe I haven't looked closely enough?
He has always been extremely calm little sleepy boy, so I don't think it's super weird, but he has also spent all day sleeping, sometimes walking up to have a drink, but I haven't seen him eat. He's all fluffed up sleeping, but reacts as normal when I or other quail approach him. The main thing that made me worry was the strange breathing - he breathes in through his mouth, kind of a heavy full body breath. Breathes out seemingly normally. I don't think he does this when walking around. Should I be worried? We have very limited access to the vet and could at best bring him on Monday, but if there's anything I could do now to improve his condition, of course I would try.

Can you post a video to youtube and put the link here? Three years old is fairly old for a coturnix quail, and I would be worried about him.

Is he eating and drinking?
What does his poop look like?
If you feel his keel, is he very thin?
Is there any discharge around his eyes?

Can you post a video to youtube and put the link here? Three years old is fairly old for a coturnix quail, and I would be worried about him.

Is he eating and drinking?
What does his poop look like?
If you feel his keel, is he very thin?
Is there any discharge around his eyes?
I'm adding a video, I think you can see it in this. I tried to keep close watch for some time and he also shakes his head occasionally like in the video, and one of his nostrils might be snotty? I'm unsure, but it might be discharge on one side. He rasps a little bit at the end of his breaths as if congested.
He is drinking plenty, but not eating a lot, seems disinterested with food. His keel definitely seems more prominent than it has been, but not extremely thin.
Poop is more watery than usual, possibly.

Here I caught some big sneezing. Yeah, it seems like he wants food, but avoids it for some reason. I got all his favorite stuff just to have him eat something, and he engages a little, but quickly seems to get tired and like while he actively eats, his nose gets full and he has to sneeze. So he goes between trying to snack on stuff and then just laying next to eat and breathing heavily :(

Is a vet an option? I thought it might just be age, but it sounds like he has something. Separate him from the other birds right away so he doesn't give whatever it is to them. Watch your other birds closely so you can catch symptoms early.

I would give him some Nutri-Drench for starters to give him an energy boost to help fight this off, and I'll tag @007Sean for better advice on treatment.

Sounds like a respiratory infection, if you can obtain some tetracycline or duramycin, I would ASAP....and admister it to the bird. ...another option is a vet visit!
I would also separate it from the rest of the birds but it may be too late, it may have already spread to the rest of your flock?

Back
Top Bottom