1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail Brooder/grow out?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by glewis121, Dec 20, 2009.

1. glewis121

glewis121 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Does anyone have pictures of their quail brooder or grow out?

They are coturnix quail.

My Quail are now a week old and just in a cardboard box brooder and they are can fly out of it (they are covered with a screen now).

What do you guys use for a grow out cage?

They are being kept in the basement because I am located in the NE and we just had 16 inches of snow today!

Pictures please!

2. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    I start my quail out in brooder tubs like this for the first week - 10days in the house:
    [​IMG]

Then they go into this brooder (top can be partially covered in very cold weather) in the barn for another 2 weeks:
    [​IMG]

Next they go into a similar brooder to the above, but with wire floor and no light for another week or so till they are acclimated (sorry, no pic of that). Then, at about 4 weeks of age, they go into cages like this:
    [​IMG]

My cages are 24"X30", hung in the barn, and house up to 30 / cage. They remain in there until butcher, sale, or being moved to breeder cages.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by