Quail brooder help?

They don’t need a lid until about 7 + days old. If you can hang the light somehow, you don’t even need to make a lid.
I too don’t use a lid and have a newborn brooder until they have enough feathers to really get some height and then they move to the big kid quail brooder. I also used an outdoor hanging plant hook to hang my heat lamp from 😆 looks really classy. I tied the post to my bed frame so it’s secure and then hang the lamp from the hook. This way I can have it hang closer early on and raise it as they get bigger and have more feathers.

Attachments

• AD3EC6D0-62E4-47ED-A879-AC63AECD2A77.jpeg
    AD3EC6D0-62E4-47ED-A879-AC63AECD2A77.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 9
I did something similar and it would totally come to something like that after materials and time 😆 Works really well though!
Plus you can’t ship them since they’re so big it isn’t cost effective, so you’re limited to local sales. I’ve been a member of hamster boards, and kids often want to make and sell bin cages thinking it’s easy money, but it’s not so easy to turn a profit.

Your current setup looks much better than the original. The only thing I would do different is move the lamp towards one end instead of the in the middle. I would also get the temp up a little more, closer to 100. At 96 my quail are cold. By having the heat at one end you create a hotter side and a cooler side. As long as the hot side is hot enough the quail can position themselves between the hot and cool side where they are the most comfortable.

The quail will show you if they're comfortable. If they are all in a pile under the heat light climbing on top of each other they are too cold. If they stay far away from the lamp against the side of the brooder they are too hot.

Your current setup looks much better than the original. The only thing I would do different is move the lamp towards one end instead of the in the middle. I would also get the temp up a little more, closer to 100. At 96 my quail are cold. By having the heat at one end you create a hotter side and a cooler side. As long as the hot side is hot enough the quail can position themselves between the hot and cool side where they are the most comfortable.

The quail will show you if they're comfortable. If they are all in a pile under the heat light climbing on top of each other they are too cold. If they stay far away from the lamp against the side of the brooder they are too hot.
The heat lamp is running about 100ish, and they’re spread out around the brooder. :)

This is a video from today!

3396A017-F181-4F45-85EB-9561AFFBD030.jpeg

IDK why it insists on flipping my images upside down on mobile. :barnie
666ACCAB-D3D8-4EB8-AEAD-CB1E1F50CEA1.jpeg

Attachments

• DA8464C0-A485-4FE0-B6E9-63F6561E330C.jpeg
    DA8464C0-A485-4FE0-B6E9-63F6561E330C.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom