Quail can’t stand properly

Lowmask2

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
So i have an older quail that was fine yesterday but suddenly not able to hold herself up. She eats, drinks, and poops normally. None of the other quail she was with show signs of the same symptoms
B2C9A01D-3DF2-43A4-82EA-4A2840E30A0C.jpeg

So i have an older quail that was fine yesterday but suddenly not able to hold herself up. She eats, drinks, and poops normally. None of the other quail she was with show signs of the same symptoms View attachment 2922617
Her butt is always pointed up. And she can’t walk. But can push herself around. She even lays eggs.

Sudden weakness and lameness can be symptomatic of many things - a latent virus becoming symptomatic, not eating or drinking enough and becoming weak from it, exposure to something toxic, or a vitamin deficiency.

You can try to restore strength by giving warm sugar water. If the bird becomes stronger, then you might suspect it's not able to compete at the feeder for some reason. You can give it extra vitamin B-complex to treat a possible vitamin B deficiency.

Anything else will cause the bird's condition to get worse. Sadly, there isn't much that can be done.

How old is she? Is it possible she hit her head?
She was bought from another farm for eggs. So idk her exact age. But she should be 1 year to 1 year 6 months. Maybe older.
And yes. The hatching cage i keep these ones in is a bit short, so im afraid she couldve gotten spooked by a pidgeon or dove that occasionally comes by and tries to eat the feed.

Sudden weakness and lameness can be symptomatic of many things - a latent virus becoming symptomatic, not eating or drinking enough and becoming weak from it, exposure to something toxic, or a vitamin deficiency.

You can try to restore strength by giving warm sugar water. If the bird becomes stronger, then you might suspect it's not able to compete at the feeder for some reason. You can give it extra vitamin B-complex to treat a possible vitamin B deficiency.

Anything else will cause the bird's condition to get worse. Sadly, there isn't much that can be done.
I kept it indoors for a day and it doesn’t seem to be much change. Ill try to stop by the store and get some vitamins see if that helps.

But again, even now it looks lively and healthy. Just not able to prop itself on its feet. Still poops normal poop. Lays normal eggs. She moves around alot back and forth from the feed and water.

It sounds like nerve damage from a possible head trauma or an avian virus. Try treating the bird with B-complex and vitamin E, given with a sliver of selenium.

Back
Top Bottom