Quail Chick behavior and health

Lowmask2

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
I have new set of quail chicks, 4 in total, and 3 are growing and healthy.
However 1 chick, the runt of the litter is much smaller and does not move as much as the others did.
The oldest is only about 5-6 days while the runt is 3 days.
When the runt first hatched i noticed it kept its eyes closed much more than usual. The other quails usually open them widely and move around. But when the runt hatched it stayed in one spot and kept its eyes closed.
Even after it was put in the brooder, and till know, it has a habit of sitting in one place and keeping its eyes closed, even when the other chicks are running around.
I had chicks like this before where they were weak at first, seem to get better, and then just suddenly die.

should i be concerned?

theyre kept in a cardboard box about 30inx36inx18. With crumble i grinded a bit more, and clean water with a tiny bit of apple vinegar. Cleaned bi daily.

The runt sounds like it's not going to make it. I've raised a lot of quail chicks by now, and in my experience, the symptoms you're describing are of a chick that is failing to thrive. It happens. It's not your fault. The poor thing just has poor genes or something didn't develop right in the egg. If you have the fortitude for it, you might want to cull and end its suffering. Culling chicks is hard, I know.

Stop with the apple vinegar. That only makes them less likely to drink, and really doesn't do anything.

I have new set of quail chicks, 4 in total, and 3 are growing and healthy.
However 1 chick, the runt of the litter is much smaller and does not move as much as the others did.
The oldest is only about 5-6 days while the runt is 3 days.
When the runt first hatched i noticed it kept its eyes closed much more than usual. The other quails usually open them widely and move around. But when the runt hatched it stayed in one spot and kept its eyes closed.
Even after it was put in the brooder, and till know, it has a habit of sitting in one place and keeping its eyes closed, even when the other chicks are running around.
I had chicks like this before where they were weak at first, seem to get better, and then just suddenly die.

should i be concerned?

theyre kept in a cardboard box about 30inx36inx18. With crumble i grinded a bit more, and clean water with a tiny bit of apple vinegar. Cleaned bi daily.
I just had to cull one yesterday that was like this. I gave it the full three days to see if it would start perking up before it’s reserves ran out, but all the other chicks were growing and thriving and eating and drinking and this little one just couldn’t get going. :-( We decided for its best interest to cull it. I always cry when they fail to thrive even though I know it’s a fact of nature and seems to be especially common in quail. Good luck ❤️

Just wanted to let you guys know its still alive and looking much better. I just let it be and see how it turns out and it got better a bit.
That’s great news! I have a little one that is noticeably smaller than all the other babies, like they all grew and it didn’t that I’m wondering if will make it. It’s feathering at the same rate, just half the size! So hopefully it’s just a sweet little runt that keeps on growing too. They’re all so cute!

Back
Top Bottom