Quail Chick Curled Feet, Please Help :(

I dont think its fair to cull it just because its not had a good start to life.

i wont be breeding them so if he has poor genetics it wont be a problem.

With some work with the shoes and a little physio hes managing to walk a bit and has improved. After a few more days he should be just like the others.

Do you think Curled feet are a symptom of bad diet of the hens and roo before incubation? - Because of the chicks I hatched has curled feet and I know that high lv protein feed is hard to get where I live.

How soon after birth should I try to straighten toes? We did the tape thing for a chick which worked great. We waited a day before we did it. How long to wait for quail babies?

We just hatched 17 Texas A&M quail out of 20. 5 of them had crooked toes.We used a cloth bandaid. Make sure to have two people when doing this. One person holds the quail. The other lays out the bandaid. Place the sticky side of bandaid up and place and position the toes over the sticky part of bandaid. Take the other end of the sticky side of bandaid and lay over the top of the toes. Very lightly press the bandaid together and around the toes. Next trim the bandaid carefully to remove the excess bandage. Making sure not to get the bandaid over the ankle. We left the bandaid paddle on for 1 day then removed it ever so carefully. 4 out of 5 of our quail have completely recovered and now have straight toes. The fifth one didn't make it and died on it's own. We did this procedure on day 1 and day 2 of being placed in the brooder. .

I had one like this in my last batch, I just made sure sure sure she wasn't picked on and gave her time, her feet just uncurled on their own.

Back
Top Bottom