Quail chick in trouble

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by quailmail, Feb 13, 2016.

1. quailmail

quailmail New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    Hi everyone,

I've just visited my parents house who have a new batch of 10 day old quails. There are 9 of them. 8 are doing really well and 1 of them is struggling a bit. It has barely grown and is much smaller than the others. It also has one leg that is tucked up underneath it with the toes curled. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to help it, if I should leave it alone or if we should put it down if it is suffering. It hops around a bit and seems to be active. I read that you can splint the toes, is it too late? Should I separate it from the others? Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. doc637

doc637 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2016
  3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :fl Hope the chick pulls through. I also have no idea how to treat quail. X2, on doc637.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know about quail either BUT, you can put "how to treat curled toes," in the searchbox and information should pop up. I think treating a quail wouldn't be different than a chicken. I do know the earlier treatment is started the more successful it is. I hope 10 days isn't too late.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by