Quail chick not well

chipens

Songster
6 Years
Sep 4, 2017
new zealand
Eeep I think my favorite lil quail chick is dont doing very well :(.
2/3 days old seems bit slow haven't seen it eat or drink much, i do place it by the food and water but just goes back to under the light. It is smaller than the others. What could be the problem? Its the lil yellow stripey one in middle.
20180321_204739.jpg

At this point i wouldent recomend you to touch too much but do put food near it dont try to pick it up may just need rest is all i can say. Maybe it's just a more calm type are there any other symptoms that could lead to assumptions of sickness or anything?

At this point i wouldent recomend you to touch too much but do put food near it dont try to pick it up may just need rest is all i can say. Maybe it's just a more calm type are there any other symptoms that could lead to assumptions of sickness or anything?
Just seems lethagic/ weak, all others up running round and it just sleeps. Are there any common illnesses they get? I'm not overly worried as had way more hatch then anticipated/needed. But if theres something to help it will give it a try. Have also read its not uncommon to loose some as chicks?

Just seems lethagic/ weak, all others up running round and it just sleeps. Are there any common illnesses they get? I'm not overly worried as had way more hatch then anticipated/needed. But if theres something to help it will give it a try. Have also read its not uncommon to loose some as chicks?
Yea as it is smaller it can die but try your best to mantain it healthy check on it and have food available. Don't try to move it a lot if it does die it's all natural due to some of them don't make it. Especially as babbies but what sickness could have it gotten? It's very small and fragile and gets sick easily. Another thing maybe it could have been stress Did u grab it a lot or pick it up very often? Is the space good enough maybe the others didn't feel the the space amount since they are bigger since it is small it could feel more overwhelmed? But since it is a baby still give it a bit more time to react to the world and stuff some baby chicks just tend to sleep lots.

I saw it have a lil drink before. I don't think we can get nutridrench in nz not sure what the equivalent would be. I havnt handled them overly much, they could be a lil cramped but its the only thing I have that has correct temp, i will need to get a bigger box.

You do get the odd one that just doesn't seem to recover from hatching. In our house they are usually the ones the kids have declared to be their favourite! You've done nothing wrong, it isn't sick, it just isn't thriving. Here in NZ (hi neighbour) we can get Nettex Poultry Nutri Drops but I haven't had much luck with giving it to quail chicks that are weak. :hugs You could try offering mashed cooked egg yolk for a boost. :fl

I think what everybody said is right. Give it extra care and nutrition. Oh, and I moved from NZ to the US. I have chickens, which personally like better, but quails are still 100% cute. Good luck!

It's still alive today. I got them a bigger box so they have lots of room for now. I will just let nature take its course :hmm. It doesn't seem any worse but still weak/sleepy

Back
Top Bottom