Quail chicks dying one by one - can I do anything?

High humidity during the incubation period can cause 'hatching deformities, like crooked toes. Wry neck is caused by a vitamin/mineral deficiency. And as @Nabiki , said, usually doesn't cause death, unless so severe as not to allow them to eat and drink.
You have other issues, possibly in the brooder setup? Can you post photos of your setup?
might help to determine what exactly is going on!

I have my doubts on the validity of that. It may be the case for really large operations, but if you are only grinding a cup or two at a time, the birds are going to get everything in there.
Growing up on a fairly high production farm that raised all sorts of different animals I can say this with confidence.
Guaranteed analysis and feed regulations say very firmly not to alter the feed in any way or it is no longer guaranteed. This is because degradation begins immediately. Additionally while it seems like they would eat it all they do not. They leave plenty on the floor or the bottom of the feeder.
When using a non commercial blending equipment you are separating and destroying product in ways that creates nutritional layers. Some also gets burnt or blown into the air if you are actually using a blender. All of these factors may not seem like much to us but a .002 difference in % to a creature that is 10,000% smaller than us is astronomical.

Small scale definitely changes things but thats not because its just a cup or 2. its because you have a much smaller sample size than a commercial operation.

Back
Top Bottom