Quail Chicks Hatched with Crusty, Covered Eyes! Help!

HunterH

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 17, 2015
I don't want to cull these birds as they seem super healthy otherwise. They hatched a few days ago, and I noticed one always chirping and then saw his eye was crusted over with some brown/reddish crust. Someone told me to take a damp Qtip and moisten it and rub and it came off. Now he is running around kind of squinty. His eyes are developed but eyelids seem swolen/stuck.

The eggs came from mine, who are healthy. No eye problems and fed a highly recommended Purina Game Bird Feed. The incubator hatched 2 batches of eggs from a very very reputable seller (parents to these with the problems), at my aunts, who has chickens, but did not hatch any chicken eggs in my incubator and they did not come in contact with any chickens. Then I hatched these at my house, months later.

I'd say 10% have issues. One had both eyes covered over but he is just as quick and happy as the rest of them!

There's no way this is coryza is it? The group I posted on in Facebook said it was probably leftover membrane from hatching. My humidity was pretty high. Here is what one looks like.

Someone wants some all of the chicks I have and I certainly don't want to spread any disease. Would appreciate any diagnosis and help!!!

Have you also posted on the quail thread? How old are they? Mycoplasma G can pass through hatching eggs or be spread by a carrier bird. Coryza usually has a bad odor, and usually only affects chickens. It may be just an eye irritation or infection, even from hatch or the incubator. Ammonia fumes and dusty conditions can cause eye irritation. I would clean the eyes with saline, and apply Terramycin eye ointment, or use Vetericyn eye wash or gel twice a day. You can get testing done through your state vet or local extention service. Here is a link for your state vet: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Back
Top Bottom