Quail chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckinfarm, Apr 21, 2009.

1. cluckinfarm

cluckinfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Mount Vernon, Wa State
    Do you feed newly hatched quail chicks starter or gamebird feed?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I always start mine out on chick starter.

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    This is my 1st hatch with button quail eggs but the breeder I got my adults from told me to start them on finely ground chick starter.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I use game bird starter...30% protein

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Definitely gamebird feed. The highest protein stuff you can get. They grow and feather slowly on the 18% chick starter and when you compare them to quail chicks grown on the truly high protein stuff they don't seem as healthy. They will also lay weeks sooner if raised on higher protein. You want at least 20-22% and preferably more like 28%. I start mine on a 22% gamebird starter mixed 50/50 with a cat food or high protein dog food to bring it up near 30 since I can't get any feed with higher protein than that. If they have turkey starter near you that can work too.

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I'm with teacher. I feed 30% gamebird finely ground. Just don't tell wife I'm using her food processor for this.... ACK! [​IMG]

7. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I grind 30% gamebird starter until it is like cornmeal. If you are unable to find gamebird starter I would use gamebird crumble with about 25% good quality cat food to up the protine
    Best of luck!

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yep, gamebird starter... ours is only 25%, but it works. [​IMG]

9. tumra

tumra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Sydney
    i have been feeding my quail chicks chicken starter, but i have also been feeding them the yolk of boiled quail eggs. Doing that gives them an extra protien boost and accelerates their growth.

hen you feed it to day olds they maybe a bit heistant, but after a couple of days they will be fighting to eat the egg.

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    As long as it's not medicated chick starter... I've heard that it's not good for quail...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by