Quail Class

Pics
What are cold hardy breeds?
What’s everybody set up? What do u feed your quail? Do over all are they good?
As the3quail said, quail are pretty cold hardy as long as they have some places where they can escape from the snow/wind/rain.
My set up is on my 'my coop' page.
I don't remember what kind of feed I get... sorry, but I think the feed mentioned by the3quail should be ok.
I think they're amazing little fluffies and sometimes they do the most hilarious things.

It doesnt snow down in Gilbert, AZ, but I still have places they can hide in, from rain, or wind thats cold or something. If you are just getting quail..I suggest coturnix. They are great starter birds.

I’m curious what feeds people use for their quail. I used a turkey starter when they were babes and now mix a chick starter and wild dove and quail feed.
I had an organic non medicated turkey starter made up for me. There is nothing for gamebirds around us and the feed mills don't offer it. My turkey starter is 1% shy of the correct protein level. I also mix in some chicken layer and some wild bird seed. I ferment that feed and it is offered to them fermented primarily. They have a back up bowl of the dry seeds in case they eat more on a particular day. I also feed a steady amount of fresh worms, greens and veg. We add in a nice local grit/calcium mix and I add in crushed quail and chicken eggshell. They love their vermicompost substrate and the roo makes a huge happy ruckus when he digs up a worm. He still hasn't learned that his happy noises will lead the girls to steal his prize. I often wonder if he's hunting for them in order to give them to the girls on purpose.

Attachments

• 6BA29F3F-B911-4E33-972C-D58EB68273EC.jpeg
    6BA29F3F-B911-4E33-972C-D58EB68273EC.jpeg
    615 KB · Views: 15
  • 1CF63F24-788A-4485-9F25-CA8E211CF00B.jpeg
    1CF63F24-788A-4485-9F25-CA8E211CF00B.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 15
I had an organic non medicated turkey starter made up for me. There is nothing for gamebirds around us and the feed mills don't offer it. My turkey starter is 1% shy of the correct protein level. I also mix in some chicken layer and some wild bird seed. I ferment that feed and it is offered to them fermented primarily. They have a back up bowl of the dry seeds in case they eat more on a particular day. I also feed a steady amount of fresh worms, greens and veg. We add in a nice local grit/calcium mix and I add in crushed quail and chicken eggshell. They love their vermicompost substrate and the roo makes a huge happy ruckus when he digs up a worm. He still hasn't learned that his happy noises will lead the girls to steal his prize. I often wonder if he's hunting for them in order to give them to the girls on purpose.
Do you free range them?

Do you free range them?
No they are indoors. I've built a 10 x 5 run inside and turned it into a vermicompost substrate. Helps keep the smell down and there is no mess. So far so good. They were moved to that pen a few weeks ago. I gave the substrate a good six weeks for the worms to get established then moved them over. They are much happier there! I don't have a good predator proof option outside and honestly I don't like our winters so I'm happier to go hang out with them in the basement and take all our compost and paper waste down and bury it for the worms. The quail make it a challenge for me to get everything buried because they are right on top of my spade helping me dig up a hole...😂 No snow to deal with down there 😃

No they are indoors. I've built a 10 x 5 run inside and turned it into a vermicompost substrate. Helps keep the smell down and there is no mess. So far so good. They were moved to that pen a few weeks ago. I gave the substrate a good six weeks for the worms to get established then moved them over. They are much happier there! I don't have a good predator proof option outside and honestly I don't like our winters so I'm happier to go hang out with them in the basement and take all our compost and paper waste down and bury it for the worms. The quail make it a challenge for me to get everything buried because they are right on top of my spade helping me dig up a hole...😂 No snow to deal with down there 😃
I thought they were outside because the pics!! 😂 😂 😂

Back
Top Bottom