quail colour genetics

Discussion in 'Quail' started by darkfur, Jan 27, 2010.

1. darkfur

darkfur Chillin' With My Peeps

hey guys
    I have a genetics degree and when I started breeding Coturnix quail a few years ago I looked for info on how to breed all the different colours. Well! What a mess! People were calling them all sorts of things when they were in terms of colour genes the same, people were posting info that was just not correct, some crosses seemed to be a mystery.... it was a disaster.
    So I found the literature scientists had produced about it, which was correct but on the other hand it used different names for colour mutations than breeders did and most people couldn't understand it.

Anyway I made sense of it as it applies to the quail I breed. Worked out all the crosses and checked that it worked the same way in real life when I bred my own birds). I am in New Zealand so we don't have all the lovely colour mutations that are present in the US but we do have the major ones.

Which are
    Manchurian gold (aka Italian, Mexican, Speckled, Fawn - also the jumbo versions you have will breed the same in terms of colour)
    Pharoah (aka wild type, brown - also the jumbo versions you have will breed the same in terms of colour)
    English white (white with or without some blotches - also the A&M versions you have will breed the same in terms of colour)
    british range (aka tibetan, really really dark brown but not quite black)
    tuxedo (which actually comes in two forms, both a rosetta and a british range tuxedo)
    rosetta ( this is going to be controversial. I call this colour rosetta because the first time I saw a pic of it it was on strombergs and they called theirs a rosetta. However they say its a hybrid. Well, it's not. It's a bird that has one copy of the extended brown gene, and a bird that has two is a british range. It comes out kind of dark auburn, lighter than a british range but much darker than a pharoah. As far as I know I am the only person who has really made sense of this for breeders so I think I get to call it what I want and it's a much less confusing name than calling it a red range or something. If you want to see what it looks like the pic on strombergs should do).

I did not work out how the mutations that we don't have in NZ work, because I couldn't test them with my own breeding to be sure the information was correct. So, if you breed reds or lavenders or something else I can't get, I'm really sorry, if you can spare about $10,000 to get them through NZ's quarantine to me I'll work on it.

If anyone was not put off by that they can message me if they want a copy of the .pdf and the breeding chart. THESE ARE COPYRIGHT TO ME DO NOT DISTRIBUTE WITHOUT MY SAYSO OR ELSE! I will probably want to sell them at some point but at the moment I will let you guys test drive them for free. Be warned you don't need a genetics degree but you might need a cup of tea and a liedown at some point, the .pdf worked out at about 10 pages although a lot is photos, and the chart has 49 cells on it so it's complicated at some points. Some crosses such as brown x gold are simple, some are really messy.

Love and quails and genes

pile o quail (about 40) in my brooder
    Missy Coturnix likes this.
  2. matt1jsh

matt1jsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi, id be really interested in looking over your notes as i am just setting a a breeding program, and am trying to get my head around the genetics behind colour...

please let me know if this is still available, my email is [email protected]
  3. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    You do realize you are responding to a thread that is 3 years old? Emma hasn't posted here since July 2010.
  4. matt1jsh

matt1jsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    I still thought it might be worth a try....

never know ones luck...

thanks ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by