1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quail coop

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Nathanya, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Nathanya

Nathanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Woodstock valley,CT
    Ya that would be a really nice not having to clean it for that long. Do you
    Have any tips for raising quail this is my
    First time doing it?

2. SilkieCrazy123

SilkieCrazy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Antelope, CA America
    well they love dandelion greens and flowers. I like to cut them up in small bits so I don't have to worry about them choking on them. Also, the flowers: I just cut them off the stem and them cut of the bottom green part, so that only the yellow petals are left.THen i cut up grass really small and mix it with the dandelions.Do you have a lamp? CT stands for Connecticut, right?If so, you'll need a heat lamp for them in the cold months.I have a lamp right now and will keep it there until the temperature average goes up to About 60 degrees at night.

3. Nathanya

Feb 14, 2012
    Woodstock valley,CT
    Ok the salad greens idea sounds good. Ya I live in Connecticut so how warm do they have to stay overnight.

4. mossypath

mossypath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
  5. Nathanya

Feb 14, 2012
    Woodstock valley,CT
    Ok I might try to use wire. What kind of wire did u use for the floor.

6. SilkieCrazy123

SilkieCrazy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Antelope, CA America
    I dont know, exactly, but im guessing at least room temperature, so about 70-80 degrees.

7. mossypath

mossypath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
    For the floor in your pen most will tell you ½”x ½” but I have yet to find it around me in a gage to suit me. I used ½”x 1” with the ½” wire up.
    The flooring is much more stable then the pens with the smaller wire. My pens are protected so no problem with critters. To give the birds a place to step off the wire you have dust baths and I throw in a sheet of that cheap plastic stuff you use for doing needle point. When it is dirty which is often you change them out and throw the dirty ones in a bucket to sit and soffen up, then hosed off.

I can tell you that the thing you may want to do is read the sticky at the top of the quail section. Lots of good advice is already there for you. For your temp. it depends on what kind of Quail you are getting. Cots once grown would rarely need added heat.

I have had a gentleman I greatly respected preface all of his advice with

Quote: Most of us do things a little different from each other and it is best to gather info from a lot of reading and come up with what is best for you and your birds.

8. ftlmom

ftlmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    This is the quail cage that my son and I built. It measures 3 feet by 2 feet . I have a wired 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire on the bottom with a tray that I slide out for cleaning. I also have a small tub for dirt baths. There are 2 doors, one on the side where they dust bathe and on in the front. I have a piece of wood in there for them to stand on and to hold the food tray. I have 6 quails in there and they seem very happy.

[​IMG]

9. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    here is a photo of one of my "coops" i'm big into recycling so this is my sons old crib. I knocked out the bars, replaced it with 1/2" hardware cloth, the bottom as well. All the poop falls thru(i am a firm believer of complete wire bottoms)

It sounds kinda mean making the birds walk on wire all the time, but they really don't mind. I use kitty litter pans and fill them with shavings or sand so they can get off the wire.

Bonus to this setup is its NO inside coop cleaning, all the poo just falls RIGHT thru on the ground, scoop it up and toss in the woods.

i keep anywhere from 15-30 birds in there with no issues

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  10. Nathanya

Feb 14, 2012
    Woodstock valley,CT
    ok thanks for all the plans everybody. does anybody have any plans using a solid wood floor, or do you think it would be to much upkeep for cleaning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by