quail died of unknown causes..

jolleyfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Tupelo MS
She was fine yesterday. Fed then this morning and she was puffed up, I thought she was just sleepy. It was early. So tonight I went to check on them, and she was the same, I picked her up, which she would never let me do if she was healthy, and I went to check her vent, it wasn't blocked, but she threw up.. we got through that... Then about 5 minutes later she had a seizure and passed away in my hands. I opened her up to see if there was anything abnormal, and there wasn't from what I could tell. Anybody know what happened to her? Should I be worried about my others that were in a pen with her? The others are acting fine.. If you have any similar stories, let me know too.

She was fine yesterday. Fed then this morning and she was puffed up, I thought she was just sleepy. It was early. So tonight I went to check on them, and she was the same, I picked her up, which she would never let me do if she was healthy, and I went to check her vent, it wasn't blocked, but she threw up.. we got through that... Then about 5 minutes later she had a seizure and passed away in my hands. I opened her up to see if there was anything abnormal, and there wasn't from what I could tell. Anybody know what happened to her? Should I be worried about my others that were in a pen with her? The others are acting fine.. If you have any similar stories, let me know too.

I have lost a couple like that and I have know idea why. I lost a couple that got egg bound. One of them died in my hands as I was trying to get the egg out. The two who died strangely were both hens and happened about 6 months apart. I had kept a close eye on everyone both times this happened and no else got sick or died.

I just had a hen die as well. Appeared to have trouble breathing. I picked her up to check her mouth and nostrils. Everything seemed clear. Went ahead and wiped her beak and nostrils down. Continued to have problems. Was throwing her head back. Ended up dying in my hands. Was fine this morning. Everyone else seems ok. Any ideas?

I have lost a couple like that and I have know idea why.  I lost a couple that got egg bound.  One of them died in my hands as I was trying to get the egg out.  The two who died strangely were both hens and happened about 6 months apart.  I had kept a close eye on everyone both times this happened and no else got sick or died. 

None of my others have gotten sick since my hen passed, but I'm still completely lost on why she died. Mine also died in my hands, I felt as she took her last breath, which she was breathing hard.. But a normal one of mine would be too. Awfully friendly birds, just don't like to be handled. I'm keeping my ears open trying to see if anybody has a cause or reason on what happened to my poor bird, so far, I haven't heard anything.

I had a bunch of newly hatched quail that were having trouble breathing and throwing their heads back and all died. The next batch I only had one that did that, but it is still alive and I have one out of the last batch that is so tiny and hardly any feathers. I have a book somewhere that I can not find since we moved this summer that I hope to find that may enlighten us, I will let you know as soon as I find it.

Throwing their necks up? Could very well have been a vitamin deficiency. Were you providing them with vitamin B's? Quail chicks are notoriously deficient in it. You can buy some brewer's yeast (not bakers or nutritional) & supplement it into their feed. Even in their water if you think they won't eat it.

Best of luck with your current batch.

I just had a female die this way too. A Whistling Kite (large Australian bird of prey) landed near the cage today and all 3 of my king quail were pretty freaked out but the male and one female were fine this evening but one female was huddled in the corner with her head down and tail up. I picked her up and she barely struggled, it looked like she was gulping air! Then a minute later she convulsed then died :( poor thing, she was totally normal yesterday but I only saw her after the Kite landed then 2hrs later she died - I'm thinking it must have been shock?

I just had a female die this way too. A Whistling Kite (large Australian bird of prey) landed near the cage today and all 3 of my king quail were pretty freaked out but the male and one female were fine this evening but one female was huddled in the corner with her head down and tail up. I picked her up and she barely struggled, it looked like she was gulping air! Then a minute later she convulsed then died
sad.png
poor thing, she was totally normal yesterday but I only saw her after the Kite landed then 2hrs later she died - I'm thinking it must have been shock?

How tall is the cage? It's possible that in the excitement, she hit her head and injured herself.

They are in a two story rabbit hutch so its not tall. Heres a Pic of the cage, do you think she could have got up enough speed to break her neck? She was a bit floppy :'(

Back
Top Bottom