quail died of unknown causes..

Throwing their necks up? Could very well have been a vitamin deficiency. Were you providing them with vitamin B's? Quail chicks are notoriously deficient in it. You can buy some brewer's yeast (not bakers or nutritional) & supplement it into their feed. Even in their water if you think they won't eat it.

Best of luck with your current batch.

I just had a female die this way too. A Whistling Kite (large Australian bird of prey) landed near the cage today and all 3 of my king quail were pretty freaked out but the male and one female were fine this evening but one female was huddled in the corner with her head down and tail up. I picked her up and she barely struggled, it looked like she was gulping air! Then a minute later she convulsed then died :( poor thing, she was totally normal yesterday but I only saw her after the Kite landed then 2hrs later she died - I'm thinking it must have been shock?

I just had a female die this way too. A Whistling Kite (large Australian bird of prey) landed near the cage today and all 3 of my king quail were pretty freaked out but the male and one female were fine this evening but one female was huddled in the corner with her head down and tail up. I picked her up and she barely struggled, it looked like she was gulping air! Then a minute later she convulsed then died
sad.png
poor thing, she was totally normal yesterday but I only saw her after the Kite landed then 2hrs later she died - I'm thinking it must have been shock?

How tall is the cage? It's possible that in the excitement, she hit her head and injured herself.

They are in a two story rabbit hutch so its not tall. Heres a Pic of the cage, do you think she could have got up enough speed to break her neck? She was a bit floppy :'(

Had six out of seven males just die, the last was perfectly fine no signs of anything wrong. Isolated him for two days to be sure, nothing wrong with him at all put him in with my females been a week no signs of anything🤷‍♀️. all of the ones that died were black on gray could be genetic complications but their older male parent was in with them and he died as well.

Back
Top Bottom