Quail died :( what to do with body for autopsy

Celeste Cannon

Songster
Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles, California
My quail passed away this morning, she was fighting an illness for maybe 2 weeks and must’ve gotten too weak. Poor thing :( she was a lovely bird. I’d like to get an autopsy for her, just to make sure her illness won’t harm other birds but how should I store her body? The vet we go to is closed until next Wednesday so i think I have to wait until then.

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
My quail passed away this morning, she was fighting an illness for maybe 2 weeks and must’ve gotten too weak. Poor thing :( she was a lovely bird. I’d like to get an autopsy for her, just to make sure her illness won’t harm other birds but how should I store her body? The vet we go to is closed until next Wednesday so i think I have to wait until then.
Sorry for your loss. :hmm

Refrigerate the body and make contact with one of our state poultry vets.. the fee is $25/ bird. Here are links top help..
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

I use the lab in Davis.. but Tulare or the other one might be closer to you. Make contact and they will share their fedex shipping account for cheaper rate then bill you. They will also instruct which is your best choice and there are packaging instructions etc.

Hope you get some answers and everyone else thrives! :fl

Celeste Cannon

Songster
Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles, California
Sorry for your loss. :hmm

Refrigerate the body and make contact with one of our state poultry vets.. the fee is $25/ bird. Here are links top help..
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

I use the lab in Davis.. but Tulare or the other one might be closer to you. Make contact and they will share their fedex shipping account for cheaper rate then bill you. They will also instruct which is your best choice and there are packaging instructions etc.

Hope you get some answers and everyone else thrives! :fl
My nearest one in in san bernadino, which does it for $135 :( the lady said it costs that much since quails aren't standard backyard poultry. I'll keep looking, if anyone knows of any cheaper options let me know!

Top Bottom