Quail don’t seem happy

I already posted a thread on this ages ago out of worry, as I do not have access to higher protein feed. I’ve been told 20+ is fine. As a lot of owners just feed chicken layers pellets, which are less and their quail lay fine, take Brimwood Farm on YT for example.

I already posted a thread on this ages ago out of worry, as I do not have access to higher protein feed. I’ve been told 20+ is fine. As a lot of owners just feed chicken layers pellets, which are less and their quail lay fine, take Brimwood Farm on YT for example.
I'm not saying they won't lay with lower protein. I've read that some feed 18% too. I'm just thinking how quail would do that were already laying on (likely) a higher protein than 20%, then moving them to a new home and now giving them less protein and less light.....

Here's a recommendation on how to get someone's hens to lay from your Brimwood Farm guy..... he said to increase the protein....

Richard Plater
2 years ago
I have 5 hens and only get 1 egg every other day can but I know that 2 of them are old hen is there any other reason they may not be laying

Brimwood Farm
2 years ago
Especially at this time of year they can be off laying. When it warms up you'll find they lay better. You can help boost them with some extra insect protein too.

With no pictures this is purely a guess.... but you said you keep them in a closed shed, with the door open during the day to let some sunlight in. I'm wondering how much light is actually getting in the shed. Perhaps it's too dark inside the shed for them to want to lay. Maybe try running your artificial light for the full 14-16 hours a day. Just a thought..... still highly recommend bumping up the protein... a lot.

Back
Top Bottom