Quail dying,please help :( !

Quail1994

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Hi everyone.

My normal coturnix quail are busy dying and i don't know what the cause is.
Here are some photo's of the 2 quail that does not look right at all and will probably die in a few hours
hit.gif

It happened 2 days ago when i went out to feed them one was already dead just lying there with a little blood coming out of her mouth.
Now it's these 2's turn i think
hit.gif

My dad says it's probably a parasite that broke out,and also they are in 2 different cages,the one differing with 7 months and the other cage with the one lying on her side is the oldest with 1 year and 7 months.
Can someone tell me what's wrong and what i should do to prevent further deaths?
Please help would be much appreciated.
They lay eggs every day btw.
I recently(3 weeks ago) bought them new food/brand that a other company makes omg :( Maybe that's the problem
hit.gif

Last edited:
When was the last time they were wormed? Quail, especially quail on the ground need to be wormed at least once a year, sometimes twice a year. So if you have not already done so, worm them. Worms kill poultry.

Have they or you been exposed to chickens? If you also keep other poultry, you need to make sure there is no contact between the species. Wash your hands between poultry pens, change your shoes if your quail area is walk in. Do not share water or feed dishes or cleaning equipment.

The brand of food should not be the issue, however look closely at it to make sure it is not buggy or moldy. Feed can have mold already processed into the feed, however it is rare.

There is nothing wrong with keeping quail on the ground, as long as you keep a clean facility and keep them wormed each year. You could always do or have done a necropsy to see what is going on internally.

Last edited:
When was the last time they were wormed? Quail, especially quail on the ground need to be wormed at least once a year, sometimes twice a year. So if you have not already done so, worm them. Worms kill poultry.

Have they or you been exposed to chickens? If you also keep other poultry, you need to make sure there is no contact between the species. Wash your hands between poultry pens, change your shoes if your quail area is walk in. Do not share water or feed dishes or cleaning equipment.

The brand of food should not be the issue, however look closely at it to make sure it is not buggy or moldy. Feed can have mold already processed into the feed, however it is rare.

There is nothing wrong with keeping quail on the ground, as long as you keep a clean facility and keep them wormed each year. You could always do or have done a necropsy to see what is going on internally.

No chickens just quail.
How exactly do you worm quail,i just throw apple cider in their water once a year.

It looks bad. I would defiantly isolate them.

You could always take them to the vet. If you arn't prepared to do that, you could try garlic i suppose.

Garlic is a great natural de-wormer (it also helps to boost the appetite). I use it on my fish regularly. Fish are quite sensitive to medications. Not sure if it's safe to use on quails but it's worth looking into. (FYI it needs to be fresh crushed garlic. The crushing action stimulates the garlics natural fighting response or something. I use 1/4Th a clove crushed into their fish food, every day until they recover.)You could always mix it with some water and feed it to them with an eye dropper.

Last edited:
Use Ivermectin. It's a gentle wormer that is used for just about every animal, including humans. You can get it at many feed stores, avian veterinarians, or better pet bird shops and it's not terribly expensive. It'll also kill some lice and other external parasites.

Go to your feed store and get some Wazine. It is a liquid that is put in the water for one day only. One ounce per gallon of water. Wazine only kills round worms in the intestines, but round worms are the most common of worms. It paralyzes the worms and the worms are pooped out. You can also use liquid Safeguard goat wormer. It is also a liquid but is put in the feed. Safeguard kills all worms except tape worms. It is best to start with the Wazine first if the quail have never been wormed before so there are not too many worms killed off at once. Too much toxin is released when a huge amount of worms are killed in the body and can make the quail sick or kill the quail if they are really loaded with worms. So after 10 days from worming with Wazine, you can use the Safeguard. Repeat this process once or twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom