Quail Eggs - First Timer

llbolen

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Hi,

I will be getting a dozen quail eggs from a friend on Thursday. This is my first time hatching quail and only the 2nd time hatching anything. I got 2 chicks out of 5 good eggs. 3 died in the eggs. Those were Blue Laced Wyandottes. I have 2 chicks that are 3 & 5 days old. Very, very cute. Since that bad hatch, I bought a new thermometer with a humidity monitor and also an egg turner. These are just for fun, so if nothing hatches, it's not going to be too heartbreaking. That said, I really would like to get some quail started.

I am totally learning as I go. Trying to write everything down and keep track of days. I built a makeshift brooder that seems to be working well. I just read about switching to a red light, I'll pick up one today. So, excited about the quail possibility.

I also have on hold a dozen brown Cornish eggs, a dozen more Blue Laced Wyandotte eggs, a half dozen Buff eggs, and a half dozen Easter Eggs. I hope I will be able to tell these guys apart when they are chicks.

If anyone has any advice or information they want to share, I would love it. I have a pretty thick skin, but nice works as well. Thanks

Laurie

Just a little more info about me. I have rabbits as well as the new chicks. Standard Rex, pedigree. A dog, a couple cats that hang about when they want, and a 6 year old boy who loves his chickens.

Hi, I've got rabbits, chickens & have just hatched 6 jumbo coturnix quail.

I set 12 eggs in a manual turn brinsea mini eco, forgot to turn 3 times during incubation, had a power cut & moved home with the incubators - they are hardier than you think.
Incubate as you would chickens, but don't forget lockdown at 15 days.
My quail are cute, but less intelligent & less personality than chicken chicks. Never mind .

Back
Top Bottom