1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail Eggs for Export

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Nichrome, Jun 1, 2013.

  1. Nichrome

    Nichrome Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    2
    71
    May 22, 2013
    Hello,

    I live on a small island in the Mediterranean and the species of quail existent on the island are quite limited.

    Do you know of anyone exporting eggs within the EU?
     
  2. Pancholoco

    Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

    483
    18
    103
    Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    I tried to ship eggs to Spain and all perishable food are prohibited.
     
  3. Nichrome

    Nichrome Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    2
    71
    May 22, 2013
    Even by courier?

    What I'll try to do is EU to EU. Anyone knowns a reliable hatching quail egg producer in the EU that will readily ship abroad within the EU?
     
  4. Habibs Hens

    Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

    3,084
    84
    213
    Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    where in EU do you need them

    im in UK and EU is ok to ship to as long as its in the list of known good countries
     
  5. Nichrome

    Nichrome Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    2
    71
    May 22, 2013
    I'm in sunny Malta!

    I am interested in the fancy breeds like californian, montezuma, harlequin, blue scaled, mountain...etc. It would be really nice to be able to import eggs from the EU!
     
  6. Pavomuticus

    Pavomuticus Out Of The Brooder

    36
    3
    24
    Apr 8, 2013
    Hi
    Not wanting to be a party pooper but it is not OK to just ship eggs for hatching even within the EU. So even if your in the UK, you need to jump though a lot of hoops to export eggs legally from the UK. This includes a vet coming to your premises, sending applications to Animal health for export licenses, and potentially testing for salmonella (unless geese or pigeons) which can involve I quote-blood samples must be collected at random from a sufficient number of birds to give a 95% probability of detecting infection at a prevalence of 5%.- this will involve testing all your birds if you have less than 20.
    This is for each batch of eggs sent , and this is Animal health been kind for lots under 20 eggs, if you want to send more than 20 eggs you have to join the poultry health scheme- which will cost a small fortune for the small producer and limit your activities from then on.......thats if you could get in it.....


    Then there is the import countries rules that you will need to satisfy and they are different even within the EU, it will depend on them as to what trouble you get in. If you go ahead the UK customs will not really care, they are going out and not really their problem anymore its the other countries customs that's the problem, if your lucky they will just destroy the eggs, but it is a dangerous game, worse case scenerio, if a disease outbreak implicated your eggs as a potential source........its a criminal offence that you've done and in which case massive fines and possible jail time....... after all they can be tracked back to you ie if bought though ebay etc

    Basically unless you can afford the cost and time of doing the paperwork, the risks are too great for a couple of dollers worth of eggs. Just remember if you do the paperwork and its all Vet signed etc then its not your arse on the line and its not jail time and your not responsible for a multi-mllion doller cost of a disease outbreak.....

    People get away with it because customs officers can't be up to date on everything and the eggs get lost in the volume of mail going though.

    So if anyone wants to risk it ..... honestly on the whole the risks are pretty small but so are the rewards and if it goes wrong ....Arghhh

    If someone wants eggs that bad moved in the EU they'll have to come over on holiday. You sell in the UK to a UK customer, its not you on the line anymore, you've broken no laws. And then they can try and get them back over..... (Ps I'm not advising anyone to come to the UK and remove eggs in this way, its illegal just don't do it, I'm just saying don't be bullied into it, if someone wants to break the law make sure they not putting you on the line by breaking it- its their risks leave them to it )
     
  7. Nichrome

    Nichrome Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    2
    71
    May 22, 2013
    Oh thanks for that! I really did not know it was illegal from EU to EU. And I guess it is only worse with live birds :(
     
  8. Pavomuticus

    Pavomuticus Out Of The Brooder

    36
    3
    24
    Apr 8, 2013
    Hi
    Sorry don't want to give the wrong impression, its not illegal if the correct paperwork is followed.
    Also except for increased costs of shipping and more considerations of the welfare of animals it is not really that much more difficult for domestic poultry, as the diseases they are interested in are still the same and most of the paper work is the same, in fact most of the forms are for either eggs/chicks/birds.
    Regards
     
  9. Habibs Hens

    Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

    3,084
    84
    213
    Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop


    your right its NOT illegal to send within approved countries within EU

    its all about the control of disease

    and there is a list of approved countries import/export within EU is allowed

    and those countries are declared free of the particular diseases they re trying to keep out
     
  10. Nichrome

    Nichrome Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    2
    71
    May 22, 2013
    Very interesting. Given that you seem to be more knowledgeable in the matter, where do you think I can get this list from?
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by