Quail eggs for food

Quote:
If you keep a light on them, they should lay during the winter. However, this will also cause them to stop laying at a younger age, and you'll have to replace your hens sooner. I had one pharaoh hen that started laying in December, with no light or anything. My other hen is still not laying, and it's now almost March!

I have been getting eggs from my few quail everyday since July. They are outside with no lights. They just LOVE to lay eggs. Of course, most of them quit for the shorter days, but some just keep on keeping on ........

When I break eggs from breakfast, I hit the top of the egg on the counter and peel only the top open and dump the egg out. I don't even attempt to 'break' the egg like a chicken since they are more difficult to open. But I can 'open' a lot of eggs in just a minute by popping the top!

My grandson loves quail eggs and always asked me to fry him some when he is visiting. A few eggs, little milk, and some cheddar cheese make a really good omelette.

Quote:
I don't know anything about quail eggs-- but you do know you can have chicken eggs without a rooster, right? So if you want chicken eggs, just get hens and you'll be all set.

Quote:
I don't know anything about quail eggs-- but you do know you can have chicken eggs without a rooster, right? So if you want chicken eggs, just get hens and you'll be all set.

I think what this person was saying was that they want to have fertile eggs to replentish theie own stock. but I may be wrong. and quail roos are noisy but the noise they mack sound more natural to me. like birds that might be in the neighbor hood already!

Quote:
Coturnix (Japaneese) quails eggs are very tasty, in my opinion they have better flavor than chicken eggs.

Some cultures consider quail eggs a medicine and delicacy.

Supposedly less cholesterol than chicken eggs.

about 5 coturnix eggs equals 1 large chicken egg.

They will lay year around but need extra light in winter to continue production.

If you keep them indoors you need to provide light (best on timer)
for 14 - 16 hrs a day.

Do not worry about roosters crowing, their "crow" reminds more of
a cat "meow" in sound volume than a bird.

Noise made by birds like cockatiels, or parrots are much louder than coturnix roo "crow".

The only downside is they are short lived, 2nd year egg production goes down the hill fast, so it is wise to keep one or two rooster and incubate your own, or buy hatching eggs for replacement.

Tasty meat just for a snack though, unless you fix 2 or more per person.

Never go broody in captivity.

Best kept on wire, indoors good ventilation is necessary, their droppings contain more ammonia than chicken droppings.

Very easy to hatch and raise, almost decease free.

That's about all you need to know about coturnix quail.

Back
Top Bottom