Quail eggs for food

Doubletap

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 17, 2009
I am right in the middle of the city. I have been considering buying laying hens for eggs but I know I could not have a rooster because of the noise.
So what about quail?
I have eaten a quail egg before that tasted quite a bit different than a chicken egg.
My question is do quail eggs typically taste different than chicken eggs?

I eat quail eggs all the time and cannot tell any difference between them and chicken eggs in taste. It does take a few to equal a large chicken egg. When you boil them, they are just the right size for snacking and not so overwhelming in size like a chicken egg.

Probably the coturnix if you're looking for egg production. The only problem that I would see with them is that the membrane of the shells are really tough, so it can be more of a PITA to crack the eggs. I've never had any experience with bobwhites or other quail eggs though (besides buttons, which are easy to crack, but, well, good luck getting enough to make a meal, lol).

I raise coturnix and see no difference in them and chicken eggs in taste...folks love them for hard boiled eggs...so true on the snacking size!!! My boys like to brag about eating 6 eggs for breakfast to their friends...they are hard to break...but a little shell is good for you!

Yeah, I would say that 3-4 coturnix quail eggs would equal 1 chicken egg. But they sure are yummy!! My 4 y/o is the pickiest eater in the world, and he will gobble down quail eggs like there's no tomorrow! He won't touch a chicken egg to save his life!

You would need more birds to get enough eggs for a meal. If you don't eat eggs daily, you wouldn't need as many. But quail are more efficient than chickens also. I read on here somewhere that for every 1# of feed a quail eats, she will lay 1# of eggs. So what's better than that? I don't know the ratio on chickens, but I doubt it is anything close to that! 10 hens would get you about 60 eggs a week, give or take, and they wouldn't eat you out of house and home. Plus, the males don't normally crow unless they don't have a mate, and when they do they aren't nearly as loud as a rooster. Then you would have fertile eggs to hatch so you could replace your own birds, and have meat for dinner as well!
celebrate.gif

Yeah...rats are impressed with coturnix quail breeding! I have...well several and they are efficient...pound for pound they give more and larger eggs than any chicken

Back
Top Bottom