Quail eggs hatching

emimyoshi

Hatching
Jul 8, 2020
Hey guys!! I posted another thread before about having a rotten egg in my incubator a couple of days ago but good news!! 6/11 quail eggs have hatched today!!
One problem I am having right now is that I had a quail egg hatch and I noticed it was struggling for a while to get out but eventually got out. I also noticed that it’s being bullied by the others and it is also the smallest one out of the bunch. So I’m assuming it’s the “runt” of the bunch. I feel bad watching the other peck at it and run over it but I don’t want to open the incubator cause I’ve read that the chicks could die if they get chilled. Any advice??

Hey guys!! I posted another thread before about having a rotten egg in my incubator a couple of days ago but good news!! 6/11 quail eggs have hatched today!!
One problem I am having right now is that I had a quail egg hatch and I noticed it was struggling for a while to get out but eventually got out. I also noticed that it’s being bullied by the others and it is also the smallest one out of the bunch. So I’m assuming it’s the “runt” of the bunch. I feel bad watching the other peck at it and run over it but I don’t want to open the incubator cause I’ve read that the chicks could die if they get chilled. Any advice??
Is your brooder ready? If you move that one to the brooder first, then the others a couple of hours later, they might leave it alone because it's part of the brooder when they get there.

I do have it ready but I read that I have to wait until the chicks fluff up or at least wait a day to take them out of the incubator

What type of quail? One of my friends had chicks that weren’t kept very well my their parents and they took them, put them with heat and other necessities and hand raised them. This can be a way out for runts or mistreated chicks you also get tamed quails! I found that that was a good solution because then it gives them a chance. Also it probably depends how much time you have and if you want them for that purpose.
Hopefully all goes well. 😊

I recommend to save the runt from the others. My quail also picked on the last one who hatched. They would've killed her if I didn't separate her. Unfortunately, they injured her before I rescued her, so I had to keep her separate longer bc they would peck at her injury everytime I put her in with them. It was my first hatch, so I didn't realize the babies would hurt each other like that. :(

I do have it ready but I read that I have to wait until the chicks fluff up or at least wait a day to take them out of the incubator
It doesn't take but an hour maybe 2 sometimes, depending on the amount of humidity that is in the incubator, for the hatchlings to dry off. I wouldn't leave them in the incubator over 12 hours. Usually within 4 hours they can be transferred to a brooder that is already set up and at proper temperature. Quail chicks are not like chicken chicks, they need water and food alot quicker.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom