quail eggs...round 2 (THEY'RE HERE!!!!!!)

Quote:
I don't know what happened. I am getting some more A&M cortunix eggs, and I just don't want to mess up. I know I had problems with my humidity bouncing all over the place, so maybe that was it? But both my incubators have turners, so at least I won't have to mess with that.

Shelley, just use the same parameters as chickens and you'll do fine. Just try to keep them as stable as possible... that's all you can do. Kudos for not giving up.
wink.png

Thanks Mrs. AK!

I actually did give up. I was not about to have any more shipped after the last mess. I paid over $30 for one button quail and 2 A&M quail. If I want scrambled eggs, I'll make my own thank you!

So then out of the blue tonight, I checked my email and he had sent me a message saying my replacements were on the way, free of charge! I had sent a message to the seller after I candled the eggs, and told him what happened. He said his birds were still laying, and he would send me more eggs for the shipping (another $10). I don't remember if I replied or not, but I didn't plan on getting more. It wasn't his fault the P.O. was brutal to them, and I really didn't want to spend another $10 bucks on eggs for the P.O. to abuse.

So I will just have to set them!! I just wish I could find buttons that were closer. Marie said she would send me some more, but the same situation. I just don't feel comfortable paying anything for more eggs to come through the mail. And I don't expect her to send them anyway. She doesn't have to. It's not her fault they got so messed up. I knew what I was getting into when I ordered them. My poor little button quail chick is gonna be awfully lonely once I take his friends away!

How long can i leave the button in with the A&M's?

I haven't tried brooding buttons with coturnix, so I guess just keep an eye on them and when the coturnix start walking all over the buttons, it's time to separate them.
big_smile.png

I don't know if you saw my thread back a couple of month ago, asking "why can't I get shipped eggs to hatch?" I started back in April, and have had HUNDREDS of eggs shipped, at just as many $$, and maybe out of 3 batches of eggs I would get one chick. I have a red Dorking that is at least $60, and a Silver Grey Dorking that is well over $100. I was the OCW... one chick wonder. Until my last couple of hatches. I got 9 viable chicks from one hatch, and 14 from another... one from WA and one from VA. It's a given that they're going to be a little abused, but if it's the only way to get the breeds you want (like me) then sometimes that's the way you have to go. It IS heartbreaking... believe me!! But those two hatches made it all worth while. Now I can hatch my own.
smile.png

hugs.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

There is a post in the hatching eggs forum right now that has so many different types that I want! They are located in Ohio, so the eggs won't have too far to go. I am borrowing your coop plans
smile.png
if ya don't mind! I hope to have it done by spring, then I can start my own little hatching eggs operation. I have 5 different breeds, as well as mixes, right now, and I'm getting 4 more breeds this spring. Plus I have 3 breeds of ducks, and 2 breeds of quail (one lonely button won't breed by its itty-bitty self!) and 2 different colored guineas! I have quite a mix already, but that's all they are right now is mixed. And that's not counting what my dad has! I am trying to get him to seperate his. He has 4 different breeds now that have roos and hens, and he needs a black cochin roo for his lonely hen! But we have quite a mix atm!

But I agree, there are some that you just have to have shipped. Like the button quail. I don't know anybody that has them around here!

They seem to be doing all right for now, the A&M's are twice the size of the button, but at least he has someone to keep him company. I am sure it will drive us nuts once I have to seperate them!

You must be talking about Aly (Quail-Antwerp)... she's got a nice selection of breeds, eh?
smile.png
It's been hard, resigning myself to Spring, but it will get here. Sooner or later, I hope (it's only 6°F this morning... Spring can come NOW!!
lol.png
)

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

You must be talking about Aly (Quail-Antwerp)... she's got a nice selection of breeds, eh?
smile.png
It's been hard, resigning myself to Spring, but it will get here. Sooner or later, I hope (it's only 6°F this morning... Spring can come NOW!!
lol.png
)

Yeah, I really want the BLRW. They are beautiful!! And her prices are very reasonable.

There was someone else on here that had BLRW for spring...$50 for 1 dozen!! That is a bit much! And Aly does have quite a variety!

I still have one breed on my must haves, that I haven't decided who I'm gonna get some from. Those are the BB Red Cubalayas. Those are gorgeous birds as well. There is another person on here that has cubalayas, but they're red pyles, and I have red pyle OEGB already. Not decided if I want red pyle cubalayas. Plus they aren't a recognized color, as far as I know.

I have eggs in the bator now, and chicks in the brooder that are between 3 days and 3 weeks old, so might as well keep it going a while! It hasn't been that cold here, but it is in the 30's most mornings. I moved here from Florida, so that is cold enough for me!

I just hope these next quail eggs fair better than the last ones did. I have 2 so theoretically I could get started on them, provided I have a pair. But what are the odds of that happening?
lol.png

I don't think I could ever live in Alaska! I guess you would get used to it, more or less, after a while. I never thought I would get used to living in Florida, until I moved away!! I miss that warm weather!​

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Meh! You get used to it. And you don't go outside with wet hair in the winter!
lol.png

I would think you wouldn't have any hair left, once you came back in!!
lau.gif

Quote:
I would think you wouldn't have any hair left, once you came back in!!
lau.gif

I used to go outside with wet hair when I lived in the Rockies near Aspen. Until the morning I got frozen to the bus-stop shelter. :eek: Everyone was filing onto the bus and we needed to move quickly so the driver could stay on schedule. There I was, doing this silly windmill sort of thing with my arms, trying to get un-stuck without breaking my hair. Yeesh! And they say turkeys are dumb.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom