quail eggs too fragile...

Are you saying they are cracking too easily? I would add oyster shells to their dustbath.

What is their diet by the way? They should have a high protein gamebird crumble diet.

Try feeding a high protein gamebird crumble. Add a little oyster shell. Also won't hurt any to give them some chicken scratch and pullet sized grit as a treat along with a few leafy greens.

If you can't find any of the gamebird crumble, try some non-medicated turkey starter. Go for at least a 22% protein level. You could even go with a layer crumble (the stuff I get is a 20% layer) but find something to supplement it with since you need to aim for 22-24% protein.

Also, if these are just starting to lay birds they are still working the kinks out and some days you will get a shell that cracks when you look at it and the next day one that is crack resistant.

Are you wanting to wash them? I never did wash them unless I was blowing them out for craft eggs. I didn't get many dirty ones and if I wanted to boil up a few for dinner or as a snack, a little running water and some light rubbing usually did the trick.

If you are washing before incubating, I definitely wouldn't do that since that erodes the protective bacterial resistant coating on them. If they have a major wad of poop on them, then maybe a little water but other than that, I wouldn't do it.

Back
Top Bottom