Quail eggs

Kk Augy

Songster
Mar 13, 2021
Irland
My quails are not laying eggs.last summer I bought my quails from a well-known man, and he said that the quails will start laying eggs in 13 weeks but they didn't.can I make them lay eggs

I don't believe theres a way to force a quail to shoot an egg out, as handy as that would be : D

How old are your quail, are you positive of their sex/gender (autosexing colors like pharoah make this so handy!). How many do you have in how big of a hutch/coop? Also where in the world are you, what season is it and whats the temperatures there?

Well me quails are young their 2years of age. And yes it would be handy to ask a quail to shoot out eggs :D.I had 4 quails at the beginning just to start off with.But one of my quails died (le plumb)I am positive with their sex,I free range them with my chickens on a green field protected from predictors .my quails have a separate area separated from the chickens and roosters and they have a medium coop on the floor they eat quail food and grass (anything they find on the field).I Am in Ireland it's spring now .I don't know if you know that most of the time it rains but we also don't have the coldest temperature nor the warmest something in the middle

received_297569398203563.jpeg
my quails snuggling in together

Perhaps they are spring molting? (They are also a bit old for quails? ) Two of my quails kept laying this winter even though the light was less than 10 hours and then a few of them started loosing feathers and they all stopped for a few days.

I've had 4 year old coturnix still laying well.

They don't lay in a nest the same as chickens do so are you sure they aren't stashing eggs in other places? They will often look for a private spot but that spot can change daily. Or they can just pop one out wherever they happen to be at the time. That's often why people keep them in smaller hutches - to make egg collection easy.

Back
Top Bottom