Quail experiment???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by clawstar, Feb 3, 2015.

1. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    So for my science experiment I want to do something with quail. I don't care if it is about egg production, hatches, or any thing else...
    BUT IT MUST BE "TESTABLE" (of corse that was in the teachers rules ; ) ).
    I would love it if these stayed at a mid-high school level!!!!
    If I get a good project I will make an article out of it!!!!

(Vary interested in the myths to increase your hen hatch rate, and get less Roos!!!)

Thank you

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Here is a suggestion: The effects of artificial light on quail (using your 5 quail). At the start of your experiment, weigh all of the quail in your experiment.

• A "control" subject would have regular sunlight for a normal day.
    • Another quail would receive 12 hours exposure to LED light
    • another quail would receive 12 hours of exposure to full spectrum lighting,
    • one would receive 16 hours of exposure to LED light,
    • and the last one would receive exposure to full spectrum lighting for 16 hours.

Each quail would have their own cage, and you would have to be able to mount the artificial lighting 18 - 24 inches above each cage. You would also need to keep the lighting "quarantined" by a tarp (or cardboard divider) so as not to expose other quail to the different type of light. Besides the lighting, you would need 2 electrical timers (one set for 12 hours exposure, and the other set to 16 hours of exposure). Some timers have 2 outlets, so if you get one of those, you can plug in LED on one plug, and Full Spectrum light on the other.
    Each day, record the quails weight, how much food and water they consumed and any other observation about the bird.
    Of course, this is just an idea. You can change the parameters of the artificial light by using different colored LED lamps (Red, green, blue or yellow) instead of full spectrum lights for 16 hours. Just an idea.
    Let us know.
    James

3. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Good idea but I only have 3 quail now... And one cage for night.... I was thinking about what the effect of seed in their diet effects egg production... How about something to do with hatching eggs???

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    This thread is now opened again. Please remember the rules and what I said below.

Thanks for your participation.

Some things to ponder

There is no such thing as a dumb question. We were all newbies once and we all asked a lot of questions. While we have a wonderful and powerful search feature, it is not a requirement to use it. If you don't want to answer something, just move on. Commenting about the askers experience or lack thereof is rude.

On the other hand, not only are there 4 fingers and a thumb, but when you ask a question, you might not hear what you want to hear, but advice based on experience. So don't yell at people trying to help you. Take what you can use for the help given and discard the rest.

I deleted the posts to which I am referring, so that might be what you are wondering about this post.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  5. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Thank you again, terrielacy!!! So James any more ideas???

6. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    test how humidity affects hatch rates.

7. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Good idea! I may do that...
    Hey James I was gonna do the seed thing but now.... I know hatching will fit the deadline so as a true hatch addict I will be hatching eggs!!!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  8. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    I got it!!!!!
    Question:
    Dose washing coturnix eggs before incubation effect your hatch rate?

Hypothesis: washing coturnix eggs before incubation will lower your hatch rate by about 33.3%. (If you think it will be more TELL ME!!! XD)

Materials:
    Mini advance incubator
    Auto quail egg turner
    6 unwashed quail eggs
    6 washed quail eggs (without soap!)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Things to consider...... Disinfect your bator before setting your eggs. Once you wash the "bloom" off the eggs. They will be more readily invaded by bacteria.... Wash the dirtiest eggs you use, so the ones that you dont wash dont contaminate the ones you do. If you wash the bloom off half the eggs and then set a dirty one beside it in a warm moist bator, the odds go up of spoiling the washed ones...... Wash the eggs in water close to the same temp as the eggs them selves. if you wash them in cold water the eggs will contract, hot water would make the egg expand. In theory, pulling, or pushing, water + any bacteria present, thru the shell..... Wash very lightly with a paper towel. If you rub too aggressively, you will literally rub the spots off the eggs. You see the brown spots are only "paint" and have nothing to do with the eggs hatching or not..... Good luck..... Bill

EDIT TO ADD: Betcha a soda, if you follow these hints, you wont see a big difference.... and for the record, with six eggs it is impossible to get a differential of 10%..... Each egg is 16.65% of the total. So if there was one egg difference between the two groups, it would be 16.65%, 2 eggs would be 33.3% and so on....

10. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Ok then I edited the hypothesis thx!!!!
    My bator:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BRAND NEW (still gona clean it!)
    I have the auto quail turner, but is there a way to add extra eggs??? (I prob will just switch out 4 of the ones I buy for my own)

(Also I really want that soda!!!! XD)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by