Quail Experts NEEDED PLEASE...IMMEDIATELY!!!!

WillowWoodsFarm

Songster
13 Years
Nov 17, 2010
New York
Ok, well, I have never hatched quail eggs before and I was just given 5! WHAT DO I DO??!!??!! I have hatched chickens...is it the same? Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED and NEEDED. Thank you.

I'm no expert, and I've never even SEEN a quail, but to get you started, I do know that they incubate at pretty much the same temperature. 99.5F in a fan assisted bator. Overall the process is roughly the same as with chickens, but obviously they'll hatch earlier so you'll have to go into lockdown earlier. Try googling, or looking in the quail forum on here.

Hey, gypsy, how are you?
I just started doing that and actually, I didnt even know there was a special section for quail, lol.
I was told that the temp was going to be the same as chickens but they werent sure about the humidity AND he said that these eggs are about 3 days old and may have been sat on :0/ Now I dont know what to do and I wasnt really sure about the # of days they take to hatch...
hu.gif

Hey, I'm fine, thanks. Just setting some eggs of my own here today!

Well, lets see... If they're a few days old and maybe already been sat on, you'll just have to guess at lockdown anyway! Just had a dig about an incubation guide I downloaded a while ago, it says 23 days for bobwhite quail and 17-18 for japanese quail, with lockdown on days 21 and 15 respectively. It doesn't mention any other type of quail. Do you know what kind you've got. Can you find out?

I dont know...?...
hmm.png
I googled some images of quails and their eggs and I dont know how many of them lay eggs that look alike BUT mine look exactly like coturnix eggs. I got the eggs from an 11 yr old so I have to wait for him to come home from school beore I can ask him, but hopefully he knows...he should... Geez, I thought I was stressed out over hatching chicken eggs but its nothing like getting quail eggs and having no clue what to do (or what kind they are) lol.

What are you hatching this time?

JJMR794 wrote:

1st Thing We Need To Know Is What Type Of Quail... Incubation Times Vary Greatly From 1 Species To The Next
OH NO! Well, I have been looking up google images and the eggs look like coturnix eggs, but Im not sure if more than one breed has the same type of eggs... They were given to me by a little boy so I wont be able to ask him until schools out, but he should know.

Coturnix...Spotted eggs.
64855_dscf4236.jpg
except you'll get an occasional solid egg ,not not generally.
17-19 days. 99.5-100. degrees . humdiity 40-50% till lockdown on day 15. Then 55-65% humidity.
Grind up game/sporting bird starter(28-30% protein , UNmedicated )feed to cornmeal consistency for the first 2 weeks.
brooder temp..1st week= 95degrees.2nd week=90 degrees.3rd week=85degrees.etc,until they're acclimated to regular temps.
Hope this is helpful

Last edited:
Yes, they are super cute (I looked up pictures). I candled them lastnight, though, and I dont think they are any good... I asked the "quail people" lol what to look for and if it looks the same as candling chicken eggs and Im sure I will hear something back soon. Honestly, if they arent fertile, I wont be too upset. I was pretty worried about them get aclimated enough to the cold weather and being able to live. This was a spur of the moment type of thing. I did, however, go out and build an addition onto my chicken coop for them, so if this doesnt work out now, I will be all ready to try again next year!

Back
Top Bottom