Quail feed in my area

Our TSC has this as well. I bought some and have been blending it with their current feed (a 22% chick starter, non-medicated). They are throwing so much of this blend, that I am wondering if they love the new or love the old one. They ate and didn't toss the 22% nearly as much as this 50/50 mix. This 24% definitely smells different than the 22% (different brand) that I had purchased at another feed store. I was so happy to see this at the TSC, but will have to determine if it is the one they like or not.
I also have tried a 22% and they didnt seem to eat it as well as the 24%. I have also tried a 30% and they wasted it way more then all. So i went back to the 24% and called it a day!

My local stores don't carry quail feed, and the only type they'll order for me is starter medicated feed. Since I have older layers and do not want medicated feed, I feed my quail and my 4 chickens the Purina Flock Raiser. It's 20% protein (laying quail need less per many online articles I've read) and I give them free choice oyster shell on the side. I've never had an issue with the quail or chickens, and I've got quail that are 5 years old (and still laying) that have been on this plan the whole time I've had them.

I'd say the 22% would work fine for you. I looked at the link and didn't see anything that said medicated, but be careful of that since most starters have medicine that you don't want to give long-term to adult laying birds. Mine also get fresh veggies and occasional mealworms, so you could always supplement yours as well.
In my area they dont sell it either. Do you still get regular eggs from your quail using the flock raiser? I was thinking of using it for my quail.

Yup, I've had eggs all winter from the newer girls and regularly since late Feb from the older ones. The older ones did start off with just a couple of thin shelled eggs when they first started back up for the year, but I realized I didn't put oyster shell in because I wasn't expecting eggs, so once I added that back in there was no issue at all. And it may have been more of a "starting up" issue after the winter break anyway.

Back
Top Bottom