Quail feed...protein requirements & other matters...

bobd400

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
NE PA
Okay folks, I've searched through here and answered some of my questions...but still need help. The background...

Got 6 coturnix quail (mixed types/all female/about 8-12 weeks old then) about a month ago. The protocol I was using is:
- DuMor Chick starter (24%)
- DuMor Chick grit
- Originally I was giving them 14 hours of light a day (read the range is 14-18 for successful egg production)

After they were here for 2 weeks (when I read they usually get comfortable and start laying) there was still nothing. So, after the 3rd week, I upped the light time to 16 hours a day, and three days ago started getting eggs (well, it's been one a day, but it's a start)! I'm thinking maybe I need to change the feed OR give them oyster shell instead of grit for the calcium to increase egg production?

I know on the bag it shows a progression of the feed types, and the "layer" feed has more calcium, but less protein. I'm apprehensive as most of what I read says quail need at least 20% with more in the 25% range being optimal.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

The protein percentage you are using is right on the money, but they don't need the grit at all unless your giving them treats. Grit is only required if you are feeding non water soluble foods like greens. The gamebird food is water soluble.

It is good practice to stay away from layer feeds that have too much infused calcium when dealing with quail (there is a small amount in gamebird food but much much less than layer). The roosters (I realize you don't currently have any) do not need that much calcium and having it in their food can lead to organ failure later in life.

Offer them oyster shell freely, since they regulate their own mineral intake.

This time of year an unknown stress factor is more likely the cause of them not laying, than not getting enough light. You shouldn't really have to run lights for about 9 months out of the year.

Thanks very much. I'll keep the feed as is, and begin to offer oyster shell to them also.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom