quail feed protien test

kycrawler

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Crawfordsville , IN
Ok i am about a 11 days into a test on coturnix quail protien requirements i hatched about 500-550 coturnix from my eggs , eggs from middle georgia quail farm and lake cumberland gamebird farm . The chicks were mixed in a large stock tank after hatching for the first day they were then seperated into 3 seperate brooders

1 brooder has 28% medicated turkey starter $12.98 40 lb ?
1 has 21% meatbird feed $7.90 40 lb
last one is 20% chick starter $9.49 40lb
all the feed is nutrena brand

i marked a few chicks in each brooder with bluekote and at this time they are all progressing at about the same weight i am going to weigh some of each batch at 2 weeks and then every week after up to 8 weeks

cars is the one to thank for the test idea i am trying to raise these for a profit and there is a $5 a bag diference between those 3 types i listed . In my older birds i didnt notice a difference when i lowered the protien so i decded to see if it will make a differance in when they reach maturity

I want to know the out come of this little test.. Then maybe I can change their feed to something a bit cheaper.. But still not the cheapest.. Im watching this...
pop.gif
caf.gif

This may not be any consideration to you but just incase I want to put this on here this is an awesome idea btw

my thing to mention is that it might be good to note that many of us here on BYC have noticed that our coturnix aren't done getting beefy until 12 weeks old...I don't know if you can do the test that long but if you can that might be interesting to see too
big_smile.png

Are these jumbo birdies?

there are jumbos and some pharoah in the brooder you can already tell the difference the ones i marked and weighed are a-m's as they are easier to identify but i will weigh a batch of birds from each batch at 8 weeks to get a general idea

Thanks for the credit, but the credit should really be directed to my son's Ag teacher in St. James MN. I just like pushing people's buttons
tongue.png

He has been doing ration tests for years using A&M quail. I was trying to pry the info from his research to post on the forum but.... his wife was diagnosed with cancer this spring. So I took the quail off his hands and will wait until he can give me the info.

Back
Top Bottom