Quail food.

Okay thanks, so what else happens if they don't get enough protein? 

Just FYI, chicken feed is only 2-4% less protein than a game bird feed, so they would probably survive just fine on it. Notice I said "survive", not " THRIVE".

Problems with bone growth, nutrient assimilation, building blocks of amino acids in protein rations. Slow to grow, maybe. It actually depends on if they're meat birds or breeding stock. Meat birds can be packed with protein with no regard to longevity because they will be slaughtered before maturity. But breeders need better nutrition to form good strong stock in the eggs.

It's not just the protein, but the composite of protein, fiber, energy, fat, and vitamins to take into account. Balanced is the point if they are going to be able to absorb all the nutrients.

Just FYI, chicken feed is only 2-4% less protein than a game bird feed, so they would probably survive just fine on it. Notice I said "survive", not " THRIVE".

Problems with bone growth, nutrient assimilation, building blocks of amino acids in protein rations. Slow to grow, maybe. It actually depends on if they're meat birds or breeding stock. Meat birds can be packed with protein with no regard to longevity because they will be slaughtered before maturity. But breeders need better nutrition to form good strong stock in the eggs.

It's not just the protein, but the composite of protein, fiber, energy, fat, and vitamins to take into account. Balanced is the point if they are going to be able to absorb all the nutrients.
Ah thanks. Right now we've found some turkey feed but contains only 20% of protein so how much would the chicken feed be? It would be better to get them on chicken feed since I'm getting a few chickens this week as I've just gotten a new coop. I've actually crushed up some dry cat food for the quail but they don't seem to eat it? Any reasons why?

I personally like to use very high protein game bird food like Purina Startena Game Bird Crumbles, 30% protein, because I want large birds. Several of the game bird foods I've looked at has protein content around 25-30%. Most the chicken feed around here has protein content 22% or lower. If you are raising birds for meat or meat and eggs, protein content around 28-30% should help your birds get larger faster.

If you will be content with smaller birds which may lay smaller eggs and possibly fewer eggs due to depletion of resources, chicken feed may be ok although I would not recommend it. I'm a quail newbie but read up on the subject before I got started.

If you want eggs, you should also supplement with calcium such as crushed oyster shell or you can switch over the food to a game bird laying feed such as Purina Layena crumbles for game birds.

Simon

I personally like to use very high protein game bird food like Purina Startena Game Bird Crumbles, 30% protein, because I want large birds. Several of the game bird foods I've looked at has protein content around 25-30%. Most the chicken feed around here has protein content 22% or lower. If you are raising birds for meat or meat and eggs, protein content around 28-30% should help your birds get larger faster.

If you will be content with smaller birds which may lay smaller eggs and possibly fewer eggs due to depletion of resources, chicken feed may be ok although I would not recommend it. I'm a quail newbie but read up on the subject before I got started.

If you want eggs, you should also supplement with calcium such as crushed oyster shell or you can switch over the food to a game bird laying feed such as Purina Layena crumbles for game birds.

Simon
I raise quails usually for pets and not for eggs or meat so I'm not bothered by the amount of eggs they produce. Though I do want to see them laying some eggs to know that they're healthy. I get an egg every now and then but I heard the amount of light you give them affects the egg production. Does anyone know this for sure because my quail don't get a lot of sun because they are under the shade of a tree but I do sometimes let them out in the garden. It does get pretty hot here in the summer (Usually the lowest is 25 degrees Celsius or the highest 40 degrees Celsius) so this is why I keep them under the shade most of the time.

I believe they need supplemental lighting to trick their internal clock into thinking it's still Spring or Summer. I think they need something like 14 hours of light to stimulate egg production.

Simon

Back
Top Bottom