Quail for Eggs

MrPepers

Songster
Jul 14, 2017
I'm always interested in getting new animals. I was recently researching quail and was wondering of it would be worth it to get about 10 or so for eggs and maybe hatch a few. Any recommendations for housing? Is this a good idea? Should I get more or less than 10? What breed should I get? Thanks.

if your interested in eggs then coturnix quail are the best choice i myself am planning to get 12. 2 males 10 females it depends on how much you want/need or how much space you have for a cage hope this was helpful

Hello! I raise and hatch Coturnix, Bobwhites, Buttons, and Game quail all the time. Quails will lay an egg almost every day. If your wanting to hatch their eggs, you will need a male. The maximum females to one male is 5 females if you want fertility to be high. 10 females and 2 males will do well in a 2ftx deep by 3ft long and 8 inches high cage. My cages are built 3ft long 2 ft deeo and 1 ft high. The cages in the pictures are holding baby quail chicks.
IMG_1926.JPG

ARE YOU BUILDING A RAISED CAGE OR ONE ON THE GROUND? HOW COLD DOE'S IT GET?IF YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE RAISED CAGE YOU COULD PUT IT IN A BUILDING IF IT'S NOT TO DARK IT YOU DON'T HAVE TO THOUGH I DON'T THINK COLD IS TO MUCH OF A PROBLEM SORRY I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA SO I CAN'T SAY:)

A raised cage. It gets 100+ degrees here in the summer and below freezing and very rainy in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom