Quail Fungus?

MarieLKelly

Hatching
Jul 6, 2020
Hi!

I noticed that my quail has been not using her right leg (limping). Upon further examination, it seems she has a fungus on her leg. Please see pic. Does anyone know what this could be and/or how to treat it?

Many thanks!!!🙏😊

Attachments

• Quail.jpg
    Quail.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 46
I think that's actually bruising. I've seen it before on birds (grew up with half our house being an aviary) who have had injuries. For example, if they whack the leg on something, or if it just gets hurt somehow, the whole limb can bruise bright green. It would also explain the limping. That looks more like a wound that has bruised, and some feathers have fallen out from the swelling (you can see it's swollen).

Edit: Here's some more info:

https://lafeber.com/vet/trauma/#:~:text=Bruises normally turn green in birds due to the presence of biliverdin.

Edit 2: And here's a pic from this very site:

hredirect2.php

I am no vet, so this isn't reliable.
I also haven't had such thing with my quails.

It is just a guess into the blue, by seeing similar pics in another forum with chickens.

It might be mites... to be exact Knemidokoptes
unnamed (1).jpg

But again, just a guess!

I am thinking of trying a soak in vinegar or epsom salt and following it up with an antibacterial ointment.

I am trying to avoid going to the exotic vet due to covid and $$$.

Any comments?

Many thanks for your input!❤

Hi! Thanks for your reply. 😊

She won't stand on it. She hops around on her left leg without putting her right leg down. She just started hopping around yesterday. I imaging this condition has been present for a while. It has just finally reached the point where it is affecting her mobility.

Let me know if you need better or more pics.

Many thanks!🙏🙏🙏

Attachments

• Quail2.jpg
    Quail2.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom