Quail giveaway or harvest

410farmer

Chirping
Dec 10, 2019
I’ve read that it takes around 2.5-3.3 pounds of feed to get a quail to slaughter size. I pay .36 cents a pound for feed. I have way to many males even for my fairly large enclosure and nobody wants my males. I think I have atleast 17-20 males that need to go. They are 4 weeks so the ones that aren’t feather sexable I’ve only seen one call. So could be potentially 4-7 more. I wouldn’t have enough feeezer space for all of them and I may have a couple friends I could give some to. So would I be better off just trying to give away these males or feed them for another 2-4 weeks. I’ve never had this many quail so the rate the feed is going is a lot to me. I’ve sold 60$ worth of chicks so far so that’s 3 bags of feed.

I did 4 roo's over the weekend. 3 that were around 9 weeks and one that was 4 months. Once I was done i couldn't tell the difference in size. The 3 were extra's that I had kept in a grow out pen and the other was housed with 6 hens and another roo but the hen's were getting a little roughed up so my wife said I had to lose one. I was kind of surprised that they really didn't get any larger. I know some do it at 6 weeks but I do think you'd see a little more meat waiting 2 more weeks. Just my opinion though. If you need the space or their fighting you have to do what you have to do.

Thanks y’all, my friend says he will help me process them and will take 6-8 processed ones. So I’ll do half at 6 weeks and see how things go from there. They are in a 8x10 pen it’s about 45 of them in there now

At 6 to 8 weeks is customary to process your excess quail cocks. Past 8 weeks of age, they will not appreciably increase in size. Unlike chickens, You can also process any elderly quail hens (6 to 9 months), and they'll be just as tender as an 8 week old. Replace your 'spent' hens with younger birds.

I did 4 roo's over the weekend. 3 that were around 9 weeks and one that was 4 months. Once I was done i couldn't tell the difference in size. The 3 were extra's that I had kept in a grow out pen and the other was housed with 6 hens and another roo but the hen's were getting a little roughed up so my wife said I had to lose one. I was kind of surprised that they really didn't get any larger. I know some do it at 6 weeks but I do think you'd see a little more meat waiting 2 more weeks. Just my opinion though. If you need the space or their fighting you have to do what you have to do.
Im going to try and get a close count of the female/male ratio for the ones I can feather sex. If they aren’t fighting at 6 weeks ill only do a couple and wait it out and compare the weights

Back
Top Bottom