Quail gone broody :) :) :)

I believe is because of the genes. This special cortunix had a clutch raised by its mother so is possible with a good habitat the clutche's females to go broody too. If so the there is a good chance to start growing broody cortunix. But anyway this will give no profit to the owner.
I may be wrong, but instinct is a "behavior" that is learned and not genetic.
James

I may be wrong, but instinct is a "behavior" that is learned and not genetic.
James

Ain't that backwards James? instinct is coded behavior that is not learned but genetic, all other behavioral patterns are learned.

For example, baby sea turtles instinctually go for the surf, there is no way for them to learn this.

It's an interesting question. Someone could start a new thread. Experienced flock keepers will have opinions on the subject based on their observations. Is broodiness genetic or learned? Are brood raised chicks more likely to be broody themselves, even if raised by non-related "mothers", hence learned. Or are certain breeds more likely to be broody, even when hatchery raised or incubated, hence genetic.

Read over this and see what you all's take on this article is. A supposedly prominent researcher says that it is a learned behavior. I'm not informed enough to say she is right or wrong with certainty but her explanation sounds good.

Keep in mind the article was written by an absolute bleeding heart eco terrorist, who believes we all keep these birds in the most miserable conditions possible. Aside from that, there is some good information in the article you just have to wade through some poo.

Hey Don, I'm gonna holler "bull" before I see it because; how can it be a learned behavior when it just pops up once in a million hens?

That's a pretty well kept secret, if you ask me.

I'm curious if anyone who used a chicken to hatch their quail ended up with broody quail once they're grown. (And yes I know that chickens hatching quail is generally not the best idea)

Coturnix very rarely do, hence all the fuss being made here. This is only the second verified example I've ever seen of a coturnix hen hatching it's own eggs. All other species of quail will go broody if given a simulated natural environment. 
DC, any chance that these chicks may be more likely to brood?

I think it is worth a shot. I would love the opportunity to work with a successful broody coturnix hen for a while and see what happens over several generations of her offspring.

I think it would help those of us here figure out if the behavior is learned or genetic or both. I'm sure this question has been scientifically answered but I just can't find anything on the subject and I consider myself a capable researcher.

Quote: I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue. And I clicked "submit" before I wanted to. So for the heck of it, I googled Instinct. Yes, it's a 5th grade vocabulary word, but the definition is COMPLEX. Instinct is the inherent inclination of a living organism towards a particular complex behavior.

Like QJ suggested... how would a sea turtle know the instinct to swim to the ocean if he's never done it before.

Hmmmm? I should have just kept watching SpongeBob SquarePants instead of pondering lifes mysteries. I'll just keep my incubator handy when I need it.
James

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom