Quail has been scalped

kevinj

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
Yesterday I found one of my quails scalped, so I moved him to another cage to recover. He has lost the skin on the top of his head, and his eyes were closed. I gave him some electrolyte solution yesterday (to deal with the shock), and after a while he seemed okay. He was eating and drinking fine yesterday, and this morning he was very active (standing up, looking around, walking around). However, now he would just stand there with his eyes closed. Is this a problem or is he just sleeping. Also, is there any ways that I can prevent infections.

Good This happened to my father he had three males in one cage One male did the same thing to one of the female quail her head was wounded they pecked it so bad he put ointment on it separated her and she is doing fine right now just keep an eye on him make sure it's clean and he will be fine hopefully. Some male quails can be very nasty.i hope this helps you. Keep me posted ok.

What is the ratio of males to females in your quail enclosure, and how much space do they have? If you have multiple males in too small a space and/or without enough females, they will fight and very likely injure each other.

That is a great question he has three males and two females and what he did was he took the female separated her and put one male in with her they're doing fine she's even started laying eggs. They don't need a lot of space but they do need something like a rabbit cages depending on how many you have but it's like chickens too many males and not enough females they can fight and really do damage. If you have more males I would definitely separate them if there's not enough females. I hope I explain this right but if you have any questions that I missed just let me know.

as long as the shock doesnt kill him, he should survive. The only thing Im worried about is infection (though i dont think it can get infected this quickly in one day)

Photos would help. Scalping, in the literal sense of the word, means going down to the bone. Is bone exposed on the head? If so, you've got a far larger issue on your hands.

Post some PHOTOS please.

Photos would help. Scalping, in the literal sense of the word, means going down to the bone. Is bone exposed on the head? If so, you've got a far larger issue on your hands.

Post some PHOTOS please.
yep i will in a bit. i can tell that skin is gone, but i am not sure if its down to the skull. I'll post some pics soon

Back
Top Bottom