Quail has curled toes

Maine82

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 15, 2012
Hi my 10 year old daughter has hatched 5 quails 3 are really healthy 1 has splay legs which I have been reading up on so going to attempt to tape them any advice would be great.
Also one chick has curled toes it seems to walk about fine but does keep falling over is there any thing I can do with it's feet
These are 24 hours old so hopefully with a bit of advice I can try and put things right

Also, my chicks go through a falling over stage while they are learning to walk. Could be normal. Last batch I had two that kept flipping over and not able to right themselves. 2 days it took to gain control of their legs. It was nerve wracking! I had to make it cooler in the brooder than I usually do, so they wouldn't flip and overheat.

Hi many thanks for your reply the chick with curled feet the end toe is under the next one and both feet pointing inwards

Hi many thanks for your reply the chick with curled feet the end toe is under the next one and both feet pointing inwards
Like this:
C08DFE1B-BEF8-42CF-AAD2-4F11A8C3F2FA-788-0000006B9D2E6A92.jpg
? (the left foot)

Yes it is like that and the whole foot is curled inwards on both I have found a pic on how to do the shoes so am going to give it a go as it seems a healthy chick except for it's feet thank you for taking the time to reply

A lot of foot problems come from vitamin def. Get some polyvisol WITHOUT iron and put a good sized drop per qt. It really helps the leg problems or you can get chick vitamins at the feed store. I saw this problem talked about not to far back about a lot of game type birds. Also your breeders should have the vitamins for about a month before laying to help them make healthy eggs=healthy chicks. Also it occurs because of temps in the hatcher. Hope this helps. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom