Quail hatch today

mxpres

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Lenoir,NC
hatched 45 out of 54 eggs this morning,using a lil giant with a computer fan installed in it,,Out of five settings this is the best average yet,The eggs were from my own stock,,,i guess I was lucky
big_smile.png

i have an LG also.. im incubating my eggs right now (first time with quails!) and whats the difference in forced air and still air for quails? Is the computer fan that dramatic of a difference? (if so, I need to do that!!!)

Quote:
Still air assumes that an egg incubates via natural internal convection. "Forced air" convects heat "Supposedly" more evenly, so internal convection is not necessary. One is no better than the other, in real terms, but "forced air"...meaning contains a fan that may or may not create a more desirable incubation temp. is generally accepted as more reliable than still air incubators. Do you like a stick, or auto transmission. One is no better than the other...as long as you know how to SHIFT!

To the OP....Not sure what species you are raising, but 80+% hatch rate is great, and yes...you will get a much better hatch rate on your own eggs, than you get on shipped eggs.

Where are the pics???

Congrats
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
What a great start to the day! Great hatch rate too! Congratulations! My quail eggs are on day 7 in the incubator. Very exciting!! My last hatch only produced 5 out of many, many eggs. They are such a handful at 2 weeks old in their brooder box, I can't imagine 45 little gals and gals running around!! (oh I'll get there though
wink.png
)

Enjoy your day!

-Jessa

Great hatch!! Congrats!

Re still air vs forced air....my opinion is that forced air makes it less likely for the average joe to mess it up. I have used both and prefer a forced air for it's convenience. I don't worry about hot spots or cool spots, and everyone hatches at the same time.

Quote:
Forced air creates a more uniform temperature inside the incubator. A lot of problems with still-airs (the LG in particular) is they have hot and cold spots in the incubator. Just make sure, if you don't keep it full, that you have some type of 'heat-sink' in it to help it hold temps. Use at least 2 thermometers, placed on opposite sides of the incubator, so you can see if you have any variances. Also, with a still-air you will get a much better hatch if you 'rotate' the location of the eggs. For example, if eggs 1-30 are on the left side and eggs 31-60 are on the right, every few days you should switch them so they are on the other side. Then you should switch eggs from the front to back and vice versa. Most times the area directly under the element in the center of the incubator will have the most stable temperatures, the sides is where you will have variances.

Or you could just use a fan
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Forced air creates a more uniform temperature inside the incubator. A lot of problems with still-airs (the LG in particular) is they have hot and cold spots in the incubator. Just make sure, if you don't keep it full, that you have some type of 'heat-sink' in it to help it hold temps. Use at least 2 thermometers, placed on opposite sides of the incubator, so you can see if you have any variances. Also, with a still-air you will get a much better hatch if you 'rotate' the location of the eggs. For example, if eggs 1-30 are on the left side and eggs 31-60 are on the right, every few days you should switch them so they are on the other side. Then you should switch eggs from the front to back and vice versa. Most times the area directly under the element in the center of the incubator will have the most stable temperatures, the sides is where you will have variances.

lol.png

wow thanks Shelley I always enjoy reading your posts, you really know your stuff!

I use a still air and im on day 8 now maybe I should rotate them like you said.. because Ive noticed about 1 degree tempurater from the left side to the right side

Quote:

lol.png

wow thanks Shelley I always enjoy reading your posts, you really know your stuff!

I use a still air and im on day 8 now maybe I should rotate them like you said.. because Ive noticed about 1 degree tempurater from the left side to the right side

A 1 degree temperature difference wouldn't hurt the eggs but it would make your hatch-date a little extended.
smile.png

I did a lot of research on still air and circulated air and chose to install a small computer fan for more uniform temp,I also found that if you let the lil giant run for a day or two before putting the eggs in the temp will you can adjust the temp accordingly.But the temp will drop after installing the eggs but will come back up shortly.I had two thermometers and the temp stayed around 99.9/100.1 constantly. This was the fifth hatch for me and found out when you get the temp and humidity to the correct point...LEAVE IT ALONE,even if the temp does drop a point or two it won't do any harm.it will come back up.I set the eggs on the night before and started counting the next day as day one.on the 17th day exactly they started hatching that morning,I had a box of roach looking baby quail in just several hours..I will post pictures soon
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom