Quail help please?

My brooder cage is 16 inches tall has a top lid which I left open as my quail where only 4 days old. Wow they can jump and fly out at that age chased that little coturnix all over the kitchen.

Quote:
AHHHHHHHHH!!!
Measured my brooder, 15 1/2 inches!
I will add "rig up a top for the brooder" to my list of things to do before I go!
(like that list needed more things on it)

If you have any window screen, you just need to cut a piece about 6" longer on each side than the box. Then put a dowel rod, or some other type of weight in each end, to hold it down so it hangs over the box.
Weight would only be needed on the long sides, not all 4.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh shelleyd2008, I hope you realize how good you realy are!

They are in a BIG tupperware thing? I think I have some screen, if not, I have some camo netting?
So far it looks like the boy is staying home this weekend, so hopefully simple will work til I get home?

We are in kind of a heat wave here and even with the A/C, I am so afraid if I have to cover the poor things they they might just cook!

If you have the lid for the tote, you can just cut holes in the top of it, then cover the holes with some type of wire.

What size bulb are you using for them? The ones that I keep covered have maybe a 40 watt, sometimes a 25, depending on how old they are. I've often used (with very young quail) just a 25 or 40 watt bulb, then covered the majority of the box with a towel (the end away from the light).

I've never had a coturnix chick hop out of the brooder. The ones I have right now are about 4 weeks old and are just starting to fy out, usually when I don't fill their food soon enough, or when I get the bright idea to turn their light off.

Quote:
Well to be honest, I don't have the lid for the tote. My nephew left it here awhile back. Since I am not sure what he is going to think of what I am using it for, I don't think I will ask for the lid!

I'm using a 40 watt bulb, they seem to be happy with that. I will make the cover, check temps before I go and change the bulb if it looks like they are cooking.

Back
Top Bottom