Quail hen aggressive behaviour

Okay, I understand that she is in pain so she is being aggressive. But I don't understand why the male is attacking the white hen.

Could also be stress, he is letting his anger out on your white hen because the other one is refusing to mate with him. I've made the experience that it is like a chain reaction, one foul apple infects the rest of the flock and soon there is mayhem until the aggressor or the source of aggression is gone. But that is just me guessing. I don't know anything about bumblefoot, sorry.

The foot looks like she's got bumblefoot. Many many articles on how to treat it on the forums. Long story short, if you cannot take her to a vet to have that tended to, then glove up (it's likely septic which is contageous to humans), buddy up (four hands are better than two), and open up that big bulbous pus pocket with a scalpel (razor) and gently yet firmly squeeze the thick, cheesy pus out of there in the same manner that you'd deal with a cyst or blackhead; forcing the mass inside to exit though the hole that you created with your scalpel. For chickens or ducks a good long soak in warm epsom salt water is recommended to soften the skin and often avoid the scalpel altogether, but for quail she'd likely have heart failure before a sufficient soak was completed. Work quickly and with confidence to reduce your hens stress and clear that infection. Once you're sure you've cleared the lump of pus out of the pocket in her foot, give it a final rinse with salt water (saline solution), and a dip in corn starch to stop the bleeding, and release her back into her pen. Ideally, this should take under ten minutes.
There's no pus in it. 🧐🤨

The foot looks like she's got bumblefoot. Many many articles on how to treat it on the forums. Long story short, if you cannot take her to a vet to have that tended to, then glove up (it's likely septic which is contageous to humans), buddy up (four hands are better than two), and open up that big bulbous pus pocket with a scalpel (razor) and gently yet firmly squeeze the thick, cheesy pus out of there in the same manner that you'd deal with a cyst or blackhead; forcing the mass inside to exit though the hole that you created with your scalpel. For chickens or ducks a good long soak in warm epsom salt water is recommended to soften the skin and often avoid the scalpel altogether, but for quail she'd likely have heart failure before a sufficient soak was completed. Work quickly and with confidence to reduce your hens stress and clear that infection. Once you're sure you've cleared the lump of pus out of the pocket in her foot, give it a final rinse with salt water (saline solution), and a dip in corn starch to stop the bleeding, and release her back into her pen. Ideally, this should take under ten minutes.

I think it is more about character. My Patch had a sore on her foot and she doesn't like being handled, but really liked the daily soaking because it gave her some relief. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20200708_202847.jpg
    IMG_20200708_202847.jpg
    955.5 KB · Views: 1
She's gone.....forever 😣😣😔 IMG20200718154915.jpg Rest in peace my baby🥺😣 IMG20200718155415.jpg
IMG20200718155437.jpg
You know baba loved you so much. You were the most beautiful baby I've ever had.
Ohhh your last egg. IMG20200718155757.jpg
I will meet you in heaven.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom