Quail humidity question

850Quailman

In the Brooder
May 3, 2015
Cantonment Florida
Hello, I just recently expanded my horizon from raising chickens (mostly for eggs) to quail and attempting to incubate eggs. I'm currently doing a test run of my incubator (Little giant still air incubator with egg turners), having no problems keeping the temperature in the 99.5-100 range. My issue is with humidity I'm using a spare bedroom that has no a/c, I started the test run with water and when I checked my humidity (using AcuRite humidity and temperature control monitor) it said 75%, so I emptied the water from the tray and pulled out one of the red vent plugs. Had to re-adjust the temperature, now retesting with no water and one vent open still way to much humidity reading at 66%. What can/should I do to lower it to a safe level for incubating Quail, this is my first attempt at incubation and want to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.Thanks in advance!

Also here are a few pics of my start off covey of Pharaoh quail, don't mind the white a&m's they will be housed separately! Just waiting another week before I put them in their outside pin don't wanna take any chances until they have all their feathers in.

Any and all suggestions as to what to do to lower humidity inside the incubator would lower my stress greatly
smile.png
! Especially considering I'll soon have a dozen Snowflake bobwhite hatching eggs I want to get this down exact beforehand.

Last edited:
Any and all suggestions as to what to do to lower humidity inside the incubator would lower my stress greatly
smile.png
! Especially considering I'll soon have a dozen Snowflake bobwhite hatching eggs I want to get this down exact beforehand.

I would suggest opening all vents wide open and your humidity should come down.... most folks have the opposite trouble..... Cant get the humidity high... If you are going by the Hydrometer built into some of the foam incubators. I would say you could put tape across its face and it would be just as useful. They are notoriously inaccurate.... A combo unit is a much better choice but still needs testing. The video mentions humidors but its the same for bators....

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigar-101/article/29/salt-test

After opening all the vents,pouring out the water from the bottom of the tray, and putting a small fan blowing out of the window in the incubation room, I managed to lower it to 29%. Now I'm going to try only putting water in one of the slots to see if I can get it just a bit higher and in the range needed for a optimal hatch rate. I have the AcuRite digital humidity and temperature control monitor it seems to work fine, just have to allow it awhile to adust to the proper reading it's not quite as fast as the digital thermometer I also have inside the incubator. Thanks very much for your reply, I'm new on this site and to the world of incubation just wanting to limit the number of human errors as much as possible!

Back
Top Bottom