Quail in aquarium? I GOT THEM!

It's extremely humid here sometimes and I've never seen condensation in an aquarium. You've got something majorly wrong if that happens. Did you replace any of the top to the brooder? Air holes on the sides do not compare to an open top and making something hotter will increase humidity. Aquariums with screens over the top are completely open and all hotter more humid air rises along with the fact you aren't heating them to the same temperature. Mine are never even damp. They dry completely. It's only the dried poop building up that makes them require cleaning. Quail poop a lot.

You'll probably have to seperate them so you have 1 male to 1-3 females in different pens. Buttons are agressive critters. I've had them kill each other and even more often do permanent injury. One eyed buttons aren't uncommon if you try to have several together. It's one annoying aspect of keeping them. Unless you have a huge space the fewer you put together the less trouble you are likely to have. They do fine in pairs or up to 3-4 females per male if you have the space. Do make sure you decide who you want to mix before seperating them though. Once you have had them apart for awhile it's very very hard to put them together again or change pairs. They get very territorial and sometimes even after months of introductions the new one will randomly get beat up by one of the others. I had to put one down because I spent a long time introducing them in a divided pen, finally put them together, they were fine for weeks, and then one day I came home to find the new one had no eyes and half the side of it's head was gone. I don't hatch them as often now because I got tired of trying to pair them up the way I wanted and having them tear each other up no matter what I did. Set your breeding groups and leave them alone.

As I was looking through the threads on this forum I came across a picture of some one who had button quail in an aquarium. It looked very attractive. I was wondering what they used as bedding and also wondered how one cleaned it? As a large size aquarium is quite awkward and I wouldn't want to be moving it around to often every few days.

The pic I was referring to had plants(fake or not I'm not sure) and it just looked great.

I will be getting buttons soon and would like to set up something similar. Thanks
B35E6689-6D2C-4F8F-86E6-AB7A361F694B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom