Quail in aquarium? I GOT THEM!

Even if it doesn't smell bare wood will smell eventually and not like cedar. If you use large amounts of wood in a pen particularly the bottom it's best sealed with something or plan to throw it out after a couple years. Possibly less than that indoors where you can really smell it. I coat at least the inside of all my wood based animal pens with marine polyurethane used to seal wood boats.

Yes I figured I would have to coat it with something. It still does smell cedary though. Maybe I shouldn't chance it.

Last edited:
I'd be very careful with cedar. I would never recommennd using cedar chips. I've heard people get away with it but you are running a huge risk. It can be toxic to the quail and in an aquarium worse. The cedar which contains arsenic resin reacts with the amonia from their poo also creates a toxin hard for their lungs when it gets basic water. In an aquarium there would be poor ventilation. I think you will end up with a great looking set up the way you are describing it!

Last edited:
Quote:
That is soo funny I did the same thing .. They lay there eggs in the basket now its soo cute.. I just cut the handles off and split it in half and have one in each tank.. And yess buttons in an aquarium are not very pleasant.. I have mine in two 30 gallon tanks and they stink it up quick .. De and extra shavings jhelp.. I actually should be cleaning mine out when I get home but 7 inches of snow say otherwise...

Well I still have a brooder full of chickens in the house and now that their 6 weeks old the smell is getting unbearable, I used to be able to clean it every 3 days now i clean it every day.

I am going to make a smaller version for the quail to begin with since they will be here on saturday. Then I will have more time to create the bigger set up. To start with they will be in a 40 gallon tank. I'm just wondering what I could use as bedding?

I know cedar is out. And I hope to not have to use pine shavings as I want a dark colored litter(I think it would look more naturel).

Somebody had mentioned reptile sand which clumps. First of all I couldn't find any clumping reptile sand. Secondly I think anything clumping may be a disaster waiting for happen with an impacted crop? I don't know. I also found a dark colored mulch in the reptile section. It would look nice but only comes in small bags and with the amount of cleaning I'll be doing I was thinking it would get kinda pricey.

Anybody have any ideas for a dark colored economical bedding?

I think you are probably right about clumping sands. Anything you end up using will have to be considered as food quality. Some people use grass pellets for rabbits and rodetns. They would be darker but I don't much like them. Lumpy and easy for the birds to kick around. There is a product called mini-bark that is fir bark. I have never used it but was told it is not splintery like most bark and is sold at landscape places. You'd probably have to buy a larger amount if you can find it but it would be darker.

The mulch stuff wouldn't be very absorbent and anything you buy at a petstore is expensive. Even the basic stuff is way overpriced from a feedstore. Some people use peat moss in chick brooders which would be light to dark brown. It is a bit dusty when you dump it out of the bag but should be contained in an aquarium and no worse than cheap shavings. I don't know how well it would last but it is real cheap here in the spring at least. I usually get 20 or so large bags for my gardens and always have a couple left over sitting around. They make a less dusty version with larger particles for reptile bedding but again it will be much more expensive buying something from a petstore. Reptile bedding especially since most reptiles don't make much mess and the bedding doesn't need replaced as frequently.

Peat moss may be a good idea if I can find it this time of year. I thought of mulch but if its too big of chunks it wouldn't be absorbent. Then I though maybe a finer mulch mixed with pine shavings? It would still look darker.

I have a vivarium set up for my green tree frogs. I would like to do a similar thing for my buttons with a 3 foot by 2 foot aquarium I have, except with a small waterfall, no deeper than a watering dish with marbles in it.
Perhaps you could google vivariums. Vivariums are used for all sorts of creatures. You can base the plants etc on that creatures natural environment and needs.
Those little cane basket things are great and look natural. I have a bendy 2 foot, cane guinea pig tunnel in my aviary amoung the plants. It looks great and the buttons love running threw it.
All you have to do is a little research, some planning, purchase what you need or use what you have and build it.
It's great fun.

THEY ARE HERE! I'm excited. My dad picked them up on a way through a city about 1.5 hrs from here. It appears the breeder is fair as I asked for 3 males and 6 females and that appears to be what I got. He told my dad that they should start laying by the ned of the week! I had my first egg in the box ! I can't believe how tiny it is!

They are settling in nicely in their temporary home.

Is my roo to hen ratio okay?

Also my guess is the coloring I have are six wild colored and 3 silvers, anybody with silvers able to post a pic?

Thanks

I'm so excited about these cute little guys.

They are already eating/drinking and breeding and they have only been here for an hr!

Back
Top Bottom