Quail in Arcadia, FL

NewQuailMama

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 18, 2013
Does anyone know where I can buy some quail, preferably coturnix quail near Arcadia, Fl?

My boyfriend and I just built a new coop at the house and want to start raising quail. Also if there are any tips that a new quail owner should know, please feel free to help me out!

Thanks!

Is there a craigslist city near you? Fort Meyers list might have someone near you. I'm a lot closer to central FL than you'd probably want to travel. I found some on CL when I got started though.

Yeah, I've looked and anyone that has them doesn't look so promising. And I want to make sure they are at least healthy when they come to my home.

If you're willing to make the drive up my way, I'd be happy to help. I'm south of Orlando. I have a bunch of tibetan and tibetan/tuxedos that are almost old enough to be sexed, 4.5 weeks now, or I can hatch more if you want babies. I wanted to try to get some italians to hatch too anyway.

Sounds great! Fortunately, someone just sold us 4 coturnix quail. But I am wanting more. So here comes the dumb questions. Can you put more than one breed within the same pen without issues? What is your asking price per bird? And approximately how far do you think you are from Arcadia?

They're all the same breed, coturnix, it's just coloring differences. I have brown/wild and tibetan (dark brown) and tuxedo (dark and white like a penguin) all mixed. If you wanted a specific color combination, you'd need to separate those birds for mating. I have mine all together and the chicks all came out dark (tibetan) and tuxedo so I'm guessing that's dominant over the lighter brown.

When do you want them and how many do you want? I need a few more females to fix my ratios but I can't sex the chicks yet (too dark to feather sex, only one has crowed and I suck at vent-checking) so I'm not sure how many I extras I have just yet. I'm going to start separating them as they crow.

Oh okay. Well, we built a large enough pen for about 40 but right now, I am probably looking to get 6 more females or so. I think starting off I want a 9-1 ratio.
And when I want them, doesn't really matter. There is a man in arcadia who has some eggs in an incubator and said it would probably be about 4 weeks before he even sold them to us.

I'm in no rush now that I have 4. But I will be expanding over the next few months once I get the hang of quail.

Well if you want some of these without knowing the sex you're welcome to them. I love hatching chicks and I have a new incubator to try out. I just can't promise m/f ratio because I can't feather sex them. I'll see if I can get you a pic.

Yeah, definitely. I don't really think the m/f ratio is all that big of a deal considering the size of the pen anyways. I just knew what I wanted for a start but that's very helpful and I appreciate it.

About how far are you from the Tampa area? We will be in Tampa with my parents Thanksgiving weekend and I could get them then if you wanted.
And for pics, I could send you my number and you could text them to me if its easier.

Back
Top Bottom